* Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 13:38 James.Deagle
From: James.Deagle @ 2007-12-20 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As of three days ago, my rickety old Dell Latitude is running NetBSD and
Plan9 in dual mode. (Although at heart I'm a FreeBSD guy, I find that the
NetBSD installer also doubles as a nifty partition manager. )

J.

|---------+------+----------------------------------------------------->
|         |      |           codewarrior85 <pcrkishan@gmail.com>       |
|         |      |           Sent by:                                  |
|         |      |           9fans-bounces+james.deagle=lafarge-na.com@|
|         |      |           cse.psu.edu                               |
|         |      |                                                     |
|         |      |                                                     |
|         |      |           12/20/2007 05:39 AM                       |
|         |      |           Please respond to Fans of the OS Plan 9   |
|         |      |           from Bell Labs                            |
|         |      |                                                     |
|---------+------+----------------------------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                       |
  | To:   9fans@cse.psu.edu                                                                                                               |
  | cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  | Subject:  [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!                                                                                               |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi All,

Am an operating system enthusiast & in the future intend to take part
in OS development seriously.Also am always interested in works of Bell
Labs.

I have an old laptop P2 266Mhz with 32 MB RAM & 4 GB HD .I want to
just use it for OS testing & getting programming experience under
different OS'es.Already I have a desktop with WinXp / Open Solaris b66
in dual mode.

I would like to use Minix 3 or Plan 9 in my old laptop ( I dont wanna
try Linux ) & preferably next choice will be freeBSD.Is it possible to
install & use Plan 9 with Minix 3 in dual mode ??? or Plan 9 with Free
BSD in dual ?????Any suggestions Plzz??? Or is it worth i run Plan 9
alone in that laptop??? ( Also am unsure  whether Plan 9 will run in
my laptop configuration,But surely i will try )

 Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments without copying, disclosing or retaining it in any form.

Ce courriel est confidentiel.  Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire designe, veuillez en informer l'expediteur et supprimer ce courriel ainsi que tous fichiers joints sans les copier, divulguer ou conserver d'aucune facon.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 15:29   ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2007-12-20 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 20, 2007 3:20 PM, sqweek <sqweek@gmail.com> wrote:
>  sorry about the messy writing someone filled the punctuation quota
> for the thread already so i only have one hyphen left which i need for
> my sig

if your lines were shorter, i might start calling you archie.

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 15:20 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2007-12-20 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 20, 2007 7:39 PM, codewarrior85 <pcrkishan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to use Minix 3 or Plan 9 in my old laptop ( I dont wanna
> try Linux ) & preferably next choice will be freeBSD.Is it possible to
> install & use Plan 9 with Minix 3 in dual mode ???

 yes you can dual boot plan 9 just like any other OS and with a
dedicated testing machine youve got nothing to worry about so what if
you do something wrong in the install just nuke it and do it right
next time

>  Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
> would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
> Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

 yes a vast majority of the code youll come across in plan 9 is in c
just dont expect to find gcc the plan 9 compilers are much nicer
anyway
 sorry about the messy writing someone filled the punctuation quota
for the thread already so i only have one hyphen left which i need for
my sig
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!
@ 2007-12-20 11:27 ` Juan M. Mendez
From: Juan M. Mendez @ 2007-12-20 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 20/12/2007, codewarrior85 <pcrkishan@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
> would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
> Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

There are compilers for C for several architectures. If you are
interested in programming
for Plan9, take a look at:

http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

Also notes to plan9 kernel source:
http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.pdf

Pay a visit to the wiki to see installation instruction and supported hardware.
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/

Good luck !!!!
--
Fidonet: 2:345/432.2