* [9fans] installation problems
@ 2001-12-05  9:56 josh d
From: josh d @ 2001-12-05  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  I'm having trouble installing Plan9 on my x86.  Keep in
mind that I've switched out both the installation CD as well as the target
hard drive, and the problem remains the same.

  When the installation program is unpacking the file system to disk, it
gets around 99% done and gives me this error: "write /n/kfs/386/bin si: copy
error; copy ran out of input".

  It continues on, and when i get to the prompt to create a boot floppy,
right before that choice it prints:

  "addint file /386/9load length 14560 cp: can't stat /n/kfs/386/9pcdisk:
file does not exist"

  Then i create the boot disk and when I boot from it, it says "operating
system not found".  Super duper.  Anyone know what's going on?

        thanks
          josh

* Re: [9fans] installation problems
@ 2001-12-05 14:09 ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-12-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   When the installation program is unpacking the file system to disk, it
>gets around 99% done and gives me this error: "write /n/kfs/386/bin si: copy
>error; copy ran out of input".

I had this problem once installing onto my '486 terminal. I don't know what
caused it, but I solved it by completely re-starting the installation
process. I have installed several times since then onto the same hardware,
and have never had that problem again.

---Matt

  There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot.
Matt Senecal
Northrop Grumman Information Technology
Logicon-INRI Division

E-mail: msenecal@logicon.com
Web: http://msenecal.tripod.com/
Phone: (619)-553-4891

* Re: [9fans] installation problems
@ 2001-12-05 14:31 ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-12-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have also ran into a similar problem. i ended up resetting
the bios to defaults and restarting the installation again.
i am not exactly sure what i did to cause the problem, but i
think it had something to do with changes that i made to the
pci/isa and pnp configuration options to get another os to
work on that board. hope that helps

--sam

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, josh d wrote:

>   I'm having trouble installing Plan9 on my x86.  Keep in
> mind that I've switched out both the installation CD as well as the target
> hard drive, and the problem remains the same.
>
>   When the installation program is unpacking the file system to disk, it
> gets around 99% done and gives me this error: "write /n/kfs/386/bin si: copy
> error; copy ran out of input".
>
>   It continues on, and when i get to the prompt to create a boot floppy,
> right before that choice it prints:
>
>   "addint file /386/9load length 14560 cp: can't stat /n/kfs/386/9pcdisk:
> file does not exist"
>
>   Then i create the boot disk and when I boot from it, it says "operating
> system not found".  Super duper.  Anyone know what's going on?
>
>         thanks
>           josh

--sam

* Re: [9fans] Installation Problems
@ 2002-03-13 14:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-03-13 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Inil is printed by the ATA driver when the interrupt routine is called
but the driver does not have an outstanding request. This is really a debug
message, and is arguably not correct as the interrupt routine can indeed be
called when there is nothing to do if the IRQ used by the ATA controller is
shared with some other device. However, the default IRQs used by the ATA
controller (14 and 15) are seldom shared with anything else. If you have
that situation try to separate the ATA controller onto its own IRQ. E.g.
if it a graphics card you can quite often disable the need for an IRQ in
the BIOS setup, and Plan 9 currently doesn't make use of graphics interrupts.

@ 2002-03-13 10:05 rob pascual
From: rob pascual @ 2002-03-13 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 1999-01-27  9:15 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1999-01-27  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>20: serving #s/dos. And the system halts.

try typing ^t ^t p
to see the list of processes, which might show what is waiting.
ip/ipconfig and the mount of /srv/boot are next
(at least in my termrc).

* [9fans] Installation Problems
@ 1999-01-26  6:56
From:  @ 1999-01-26  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

       I'm trying to install Plan 9 (CD-ROM version) in a PC with the
following configurations:

Main Processor: Pentium - MMX
Processor Clock: 233 MHz
PriMaster: IDE 3093 MB 4010 Fujitsu Ultra DMA Mode-2, S.M.A.R.T Capable
and Status OK
64MB RAM

The disk partitions are:

/dev/hda1  DOS               32MB
/dev/hda2  OS/2 HPFS    900MB
/dev/hda3  Linux swap      64MB
/dev/hda4 Linux native       1GB

    After I installed Plan 9, I booted from c:\plan9\b.com. When the
system enters in the Plan 9 I receive the following message: /bin/dossrv

@ 1997-09-25 15:04 FRANKLIN
From: FRANKLIN @ 1997-09-25 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

	The non-dos partitions are used for Linux. My hard disks have a blank (free) space in the middle of disk. They don't have a blank space in the end of disk. Should be this the problem?

	Thanks.

Franklin.

* [9fans] Installation Problems
@ 1997-09-25 13:43 Markus
From: Markus @ 1997-09-25 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The hard disks have enough space to install Plan 9 but I don't
> know the messages causes.

plan9 uses the free space at the end of the disk.
just remove all unused partitions with 'fdisk', otherwise
the install program will not find free space.

* [9fans] Installation Problems
@ 1997-09-25 13:32 rsc
From: rsc @ 1997-09-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

You should not have the partitions marked as non-dos.
They should simply just not be there.

I'm assuming you intended your non-dos partitions for
Plan 9.  Plan 9 assumes they are for something else,
and leaves them alone.  Plan 9 installs itself after the
last partition, dos or non-dos.  Just leave blank space
there instead of blank non-dos partitions.

Russ

* [9fans] Installation Problems
@ 1997-09-25 12:50 FRANKLIN
From: FRANKLIN @ 1997-09-25 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

	I'm trying to install Plan 9 in two distinct machines and I have received error messages. The machines are PCs. One is a Pentium 133 and other is a 486 DX4. The hard disk configurations are:

Pentium: Hard Disk IDE

Partition   Status   Type   Mbytes   Use

C:1	     A      Pri-Dos  500      17%

  2		    Non-Dos   67       2%
  3                 Non-Dos   2410    80%

 I install Disk 1 without problems, then when I go to install the set of three disks, I received the follow message:

	An error ocurred while trying to build a Plan 9 partition table for the disc. The most likely cause is insufficient disc space.

486 DX4: Hard Disk SCSI

Partition     Status     Type         Mbytes      Use

C:1            A         Pri-DOs      251         17%

  2                      Non-Dos      885         60%

  3                      Non-DOs      88           6%

I install Disk 1 without problems, then when I go to install the set of three disks, I received the follows two message:

	An error ocurred executin the command /bin/disk/prep. The error was: prep 22 not enough room for boot area.

	An error ocurred while trying the build a Plan 9 partition table for the disc. The most likely cause is insufficient disc space.