* [9fans] used to work.. ?
@ 2005-01-07  1:30 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-01-07  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I could have swore this used to work.

I have a server (cpu/auth/fs), two diskless machines (terminals) and
a disk-full machine (terminal).  If I boot the disk machine I can
cpu and 9fs into the server just fine.  If I boot the diskless machines
I get the standard startup:

  22813 free pages, 182504K bytes, 214504K swap
  root is from (tcp, il)[tcp]:
  user[none]:

When I enter my username, however, it never asks me for a password
and I don't get logged in properly.  The machine continues to
come up, but I'm apparently logged in as "none" and not "newsham."

What is even stranger is that I cannot even cpu into the server
from the diskless machines after they come up.  Running "cpu -u newsham"
results in the unusual error:

  cpu: can't authenticate: p9cpu: auth_proxy rpc write: p9sk1@mydom.com:
  no key matches user=newsham proto=p9sk1 dom=mydom.com role=client user?
  !password?

Whats wrong here and what's the cure?

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] used to work.. ?
@ 2005-01-07  1:47 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-01-07  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I could have swore this used to work.

I just figured out why it used to work.  I used to use "il" rather
than "tcp".  When using "il" everything works fine.  Any ideas?

@ 2005-01-07  3:58   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-01-07  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is fossil/kfs configured to answer to tcp?
It sounds like exportfs is getting the tcp instead,
which doesn't do authentication (when run on tcp564).

Russ

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:47:33 -1000 (HST), Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
> > I could have swore this used to work.
>
> I just figured out why it used to work.  I used to use "il" rather
> than "tcp".  When using "il" everything works fine.  Any ideas?
>
> >   user[none]:
> >
> > When I enter my username, however, it never asks me for a password
> > and I don't get logged in properly.  The machine continues to
> > come up, but I'm apparently logged in as "none" and not "newsham."
>
> Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] used to work.. ?
@ 2005-01-07  4:18     ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-01-07  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Is fossil/kfs configured to answer to tcp?

That looks like it.  I have "disk/kfscmd 'listen il!*!17008'".
I'll play with that.  Thanks.

Tim N.