* [9fans] ultrasparc update
@ 2005-02-19 11:31 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-02-19 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just a status report on the ultrasparc work.  Progress has suffered
a little due to other priorities, but its coming along.  Some bugs
have been squashed and some more devices supported.  SCSI is working
(although not wide-scsi yet).  I have tested the system using a root
mount from a file server as well as from the local disk (fossil/venti).
The system is capable of rebuilding itself without incident in both
cases.  Remote access with cpu(1) and drawterm(1) work fine.

The current code with instructions is at /n/sources/newsham/.  A working
plan9 machine is needed to build the sources and netboot the kernel
(tftpd, rarpd, dhcpd).  Any questions can be directed to me.

Ultra2: Working
The code is known to work on the ultra2 (or at least on my ultra2,
I am not aware of others attempting it).   Please let me know if
you install it on your system, especially if you have any problems.
   - net boot only
   - one cpu (second cpu not engaged)
   - serial console (z8530)
   - 10/100 ethernet (hme)
   - scsi (feps/hme)
     - wide scsi not enabled yet
     - sunlabels not supported
   - real time clock (mk48t59)
     - nvram not supported

Ultra1: Not working
The ultra1 has a different ethernet controller (and scsi controller?)
than the ultra2 and nobody has written a driver for it yet.  The kernel
is known to boot using a ramdisk only (if the unsupported drivers are
disabled).  I can provide some support if anyone works on writing
drivers.
   - net boot
   - serial console (z8530)

Other Ultras: Not working
There have been no tests against any other platforms.  Most newer
ultra systems are PCI based and there is currently no PCI support
in the kernel.  I think the amount of code necessary to support PCI
would be small.
If anyone tests the code against other SBUS based systems I would
like to hear about the results.

Tim N.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-02-19 11:31 UTC | newest]