* [9fans] Creating CPU server...
@ 2005-07-30 16:31 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2005-07-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello all.
I am trying to learn more about Plan 9, so I decided to try setting up
an old computer as a CPU/auth/file server.  I installed 4th edition from
CD, choosing the fossil+venti filesystems.  I then followed the
instructions at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Configuring_a_standalone_CPU_server/index.html;
however, upon reaching the point of booting the new kernel, the pcauth
kernel tried to use kfs and panicked.  It sounds like I need to
recompile for fossil, but I'm not if that is really what is needed or
how to do it.
Help would be appreciated,

John
--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
George Washington was first in war, first in peace -- and the first to

* Re: [9fans] Creating CPU server...
@ 2005-07-30 18:11 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-07-30 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> however, upon reaching the point of booting the new kernel, the pcauth kernel
> tried to use kfs and panicked.  It sounds like I need to recompile for
> fossil, but I'm not if that is really what is needed or how to do it.

Check out the differences between the pccpu and pccpuf configuration files
(ignore the device changes;  most importantly pay attention to the ramdisk
files at the bottom of the file).  Make similar changes to pcauth to
create a pcauthf config and build a kernel using that (or just use
pccpuf).

> John

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/