* [9fans] suppor for Intel 945P / ICH7 SATA chipset
@ 2005-09-07  2:07 slash 9fans
From: slash 9fans @ 2005-09-07  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have a brand new motherboard on my server with the Intel 945P
Northbridge and ICH7 Southbridge. I get the following message when
Plan 9 boots up:

pcirouting: South bridge 8086, 27B8 not found

So the SATA controller is not recognized. If I read the sources
correctly I believe the solution is to add those two hex numbers into
the southbridges[] struct in /sys/src/9/pc/pci.c.

I have a working Plan 9 installation on my laptop, so I can compile
the new kernel with this patch, but how do I create an installation CD
image to try it on my server?

--
.sLASh. / UNIX is history.

* Re: [9fans] suppor for Intel 945P / ICH7 SATA chipset
@ 2005-09-07  3:17 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-09-07  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slash.9fans, 9fans

> I have a working Plan 9 installation on my laptop, so I can compile
> the new kernel with this patch, but how do I create an installation CD
> image to try it on my server?

why not just bootp the kernel from the laptop?

* Re: [9fans] suppor for Intel 945P / ICH7 SATA chipset
@ 2005-09-07  6:29 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-09-07  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slash.9fans, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have a working Plan 9 installation on my laptop, so I can compile
> the new kernel with this patch, but how do I create an installation CD
> image to try it on my server?

You're better off netbooting, as Andrey pointed out.  If you still
want to try to make a CD, you should take a look in /sys/lib/dist
and /sys/lib/dist/pc.  It's been months since I went through the
process but I believe I had to make some tools under /sys/lib/dist/cmd
first, then build under /sys/lib/pc.  I believe I had to take a
few items from a previous cd as well.  Its a little convoluted
because the normal build process described by the mkfile uses some
files that aren't part of the public distribution.

I know its a little vague, but hopefully it helps you get started.

> .sLASh. / UNIX is history.

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/