* Re: [9fans] BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
@ 2001-04-09  6:35 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-04-09  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you might see if the instructions on the wiki
are any better -- i know people have changed
a few things.

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9

did you change /n/9fat/plan9.ini to
use the alternate kernel?

* Re: [9fans] BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
@ 2001-04-09  6:55 ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-09  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yeah man.
that was all changed, i think we may have encountered some problems since
it overwrote the file on a bad compile request.  We are currently
reinstalling the distribution.
Where do we go from here.
we have a plan9 fs up and running (well waiting for the actual files from
the cpu server) and were having a hell of a time with the cpu/auth server.

We need this system up in about five hours....
anymore help is greatly appreciated

 On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 02:35:48 -0400
> From: Russ Cox <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Subject: Re: [9fans] BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
>
> you might see if the instructions on the wiki
> are any better -- i know people have changed
> a few things.
>
> http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9
>
> did you change /n/9fat/plan9.ini to
> use the alternate kernel?

* Re: [9fans] BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
@ 2001-04-09  6:23 ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-09  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ok. thanks for the help but that still doesnt make sense in what is
happening to our system.  When we compile the kernel we are using the
9pccpudisk kernel intended for the cpu server.  What exactly happens is
that we make it through all the steps of the setup but the nvram creation
causes some grief.  When using disk/prep, no plan 9 partition table is
returned, nonetheless after that problem we right echo blahblahblah to the
nvram and it still wont boot up and notify the difference in the
checksum.
If anyone has a detailed description of installing a cpu/auth server or
any plan9 installation (opposed to the regular ambigious
instructions that are provided throughout the web).
Thanks in advance

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 01:52:40 -0400
> From: Russ Cox <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
> To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
> Subject: Re: [9fans] BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
>
> 	When we reboot, the system either hangs, or will just boot with  a normal
> 	user prompt ( not the password, auth id and auth domain)
>
> The "boot with a normal user prompt" means
> you're not using a CPU kernel but rather
> a normal terminal kernel.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
@ 2001-04-09  5:52 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-04-09  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	When we reboot, the system either hangs, or will just boot with  a normal
	user prompt ( not the password, auth id and auth domain)

The "boot with a normal user prompt" means
you're not using a CPU kernel but rather
a normal terminal kernel.

Russ

* [9fans] BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
@ 2001-04-09  5:42 Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-09  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We are having great difficulty stiing up the authentication server.  Does
anyone have some detailed setup instructions(not the one's found on the
web) that can help us out???  Setting up the nvram partition seems to
screw up and we have done the

	echo blahblahblah >/dev/sdC0/nvram

When we reboot, the system either hangs, or will just boot with  a normal
user prompt ( not the password, auth id and auth domain)

We need help and quick.

Thanks