* [9fans] Re: Plan9 auth server
       [not found] <20010409232154Z49645-10233+672@saturn.scs.ryerson.ca>
@ 2001-04-09 23:34 ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-09 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpx; +Cc: 9fans

Ok, hopefully i still got ya.  We were able to screw up the checksum on
reboot, and entered password, id and domain for bootes.  The diplay fails,
gives us the promt of the cpu server and we get an error that says

	rio: can't open display no frame buffer
	init: rc exit status: rc 10:cpurc 11:rio 41:display open

now when we get the prompt, we can't do anything at all, its frozen.  Also
when we rebooted again, there was no checksum error, we get the same error
again as above, and the system freezes at the prompt

any help needed

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 dpx@acl.lanl.gov wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:22:35 -0600
> From: dpx@acl.lanl.gov
> To: diafrate@scs.Ryerson.CA
> Subject: Re: Plan9 auth server
>
> got me, i'd guess some sort of hardware problem. I had lots of problems
> with various onboard scsi controllers, it could be something like that.
> Also it is worth applying the latest updates if you have not done so already.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: MESSAGE/RFC822, Size: 2836 bytes --]

Date: 	Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:01:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 <diafrate@scs.Ryerson.CA>
To: dpx@acl.lanl.gov
Subject: Re: Plan9 auth server

Hopefully you're still around to help us.  The next problem we get is when
we run
	mk 'CONF=pccpudisk' 9pccpudisk

half way through the compile, the system just hangs.  Its happened to us a
few times.  Any suggestions???

any help is greatly appreciated as we are almost at our deadline to get
this running.

From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 <diafrate@scs.Ryerson.CA>
To: dpx@acl.lanl.gov
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:01:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hopefully you're still around to help us.  The next problem we get is when
we run
	mk 'CONF=pccpudisk' 9pccpudisk

half way through the compile, the system just hangs.  Its happened to us a
few times.  Any suggestions???

any help is greatly appreciated as we are almost at our deadline to get
this running.

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 dpx@acl.lanl.gov wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 13:39:39 -0600
> From: dpx@acl.lanl.gov
> To: diafrate@scs.Ryerson.CA
> Subject: Re: Plan9 auth server
>

> > Ok, we're not using dhcp, so things should be ok then? Or must we add some
> > extra stuff so dhcp won't do anything?
>
> If you don't want to use dhcp at all, you will want to make sure ip/dhcpd is
> commented out in your /rc/bin/cpurc and then i think you will have to set
> the address by hand on each machine in either cpurc/termrc with a line like:
>
> ip/ipconfig -g 192.168.0.254 ether /net/ether0 192.168.0.3  255.255.255.0
>

> with dhcp on, it will use the /lib/ndb/local to hand out the correct ip address
> to the machine w/ the appropriate mac addr.  and you only need to set the
> address by hand on the dhcp server machine ( usually the auth server)
>
> -dp

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan9 auth server
@ 2001-04-09 23:45   ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-09 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpx; +Cc: 9fans

also, now that we're at this point, is there a way to go back and make
changes, or do we have to reinstall again???

Date: 	Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:01:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 <diafrate@scs.Ryerson.CA>
To: dpx@acl.lanl.gov

From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 <diafrate@scs.Ryerson.CA>
To: dpx@acl.lanl.gov
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:01:29 -0400 (EDT)

@ 2001-04-09 23:51     ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2001-04-09 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 wrote:

> also, now that we're at this point, is there a way to go back and make
> changes, or do we have to reinstall again???

seems to me that you should be able to boot
sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk and get back to your previous
kernel.

regards,

--eric

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan9 auth server
@ 2001-04-10  0:02       ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-10  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Dorman; +Cc: 9fans

How exactly do i do this?
ive tried both the installation disk (changing path)
and at the prompt. At both times kernel panics of failure to connect to
fs.

@ 2001-04-10 10:37 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

several notes i've read here attempting to help diafrate have suggested in examples how to boot 9pcdisk
but bear in mind that he's trying to set up a cpu/auth server and thus is correctly using
9pccpudisk (or 9pccpu if diskless and attached to a file server running 9pcfs).

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan9 auth server
       [not found] <Pine.GSO.4.10.10104091752080.18986-100000@ultra5d.usask.ca>
@ 2001-04-10  0:01 ` Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-10  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey A Mirtchovski; +Cc: 9fans

Im thinking the same thing, its just that i am confused since this machine
has a video card that is not included in the vgadb.  What file do you
include in this manner?  The card uses a version of the mach64 chipset
that is not in the standard distribution.  Do i just include the
vgamach64xx in the pccpudisk file?

@ 2001-04-09 22:33 dpx
From: dpx @ 2001-04-09 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: diafrate; +Cc: 9fans

You probably just need to add correct lines to /sys/src/9/pc/pccpudisk. like Andrey
said, you should be able to find what you need in /sys/src/9/pc/pcdisk. I have
a generic pccpudisk at http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/pccpudisk.txt that has
most of the video drivers in it, you might try that as a sample.