* [9fans] query on styxlisten (Inferno) and mount (Linux)?
@ 2007-11-08 22:43 ISHWAR RATTAN
From: ISHWAR RATTAN @ 2007-11-08 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a box with Linux-kernel-2.6.22-3 with 9p modules loaded
(lsmod). I  also Inferno-4e on this box. I am vaguely aware
that one can start the styx server in inferno and mount the
exported files under Linux, so, I tried

; styxlisten -A tcp!*!5901 { export '#U*/home/user & }
in the inferno window

and tried to mount it in a Linux window as:

# mount -9p <ip-address-inferno-hosting-box> /mnt -o trans=tcp,port=5901

the mount hangs

So, what is the correct incantation?

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] query on styxlisten (Inferno) and mount (Linux)?
@ 2007-11-09  0:18 Joshua Wood
From: Joshua Wood @ 2007-11-09  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ; styxlisten -A tcp!*!5901 { export '#U*/home/user & }
> in the inferno window

We invoke styxlisten something like:

	styxlisten -A tcp!*!564 export '#U'

This exports the entire Inferno root. Styxlisten will start a
listener and return, so I don't think you need the "&". 564 is the
usual 9p port.

You can export pieces of the inferno root namespace, rather than the
whole thing, by appending an (inferno-rooted) path to the command.

> and tried to mount it in a Linux window as:
>
> # mount -9p <ip-address-inferno-hosting-box> /mnt -o
> trans=tcp,port=5901

	mount -t 9p <infernohost> /mnt/n/infernohost

Gets us hooked up from linux to the inferno 9p service started above;
we don't feed any options to the mount command for this kind of use.

> the mount hangs

I don't think it hangs -- I think you have a missing "'" in your
original styxlisten command, and then background it with "&", so you
don't see that it hasn't started running.

--
Josh