* Re: [9fans] Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-08 23:35 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-08 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Excuse me, Inferno ships on the Plan 9 CD and provides the only 'shrink
>wrap' browser so your point is simply OS bigotry. It is clear that Inferno
>is intended by Lucent to be used with Plan 9. Therefore discussion within
>the scope of Plan 9 operations should be apropos.

i think you misread my intentions: ultimately i don't myself care where
Inferno is mentioned, especially where the two overlap because they are
clearly related, and Inferno is indeed a Plan 9 application,
but someone did ask, and i therefore pointed out that
there were several places already dedicated to it (well, if you
discount `MAKE MONEY FAST' and `Napster Lives!'  messages),
where one could ask Inferno-specific questions.

Inferno ships on the Plan 9 CD because we (not Lucent) thought it might
encourage interest, and it provided a moderately capable browser (including
Javascript, and with finite source).

our Plan 9 CD includes other software (mainly software package ports
contributed by Russ `The Wonderful' Cox) that we also thought would
be useful and in which we have no proprietary interest at all.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-09  8:53 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

now i'm even more bemused.
i can't think of any obscure anglicisms in any of that,
let alone any rude ones.  he expressed a lack of a specific point
of contact about inferno, and i gave him three.
overgenerous if anything, if you ask me.

still, as Dan C observes and Stoppard amusingly demonstrated in
Dogg's Hamlet, Cahoot's Macbeth (taking an idea from a discussion by Wittgenstein)
the interpretation of words can indeed be non-trivial.
Cutlery.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2600 bytes --]

From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Inferno "wm/wm"
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:46:41 -0500 (EST)

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.1010308180050.5925S-100000@einstein.ssz.com> you write:

>I didn't 'insult' anyone.

Your tone was a little strong, and could be interpreted as insulting.

Charles Forsyth has a tendancy to say things in what is, I imagine, a
rather ``British'' way.  To our untrained and (mostly) American eyes
and ears, this might come across as rude, but I don't think it's meant
that way; I'd guess that it's just a cultural difference.

In other words, I think you're taking exception to something which is
entirely innocent.

>> have you considered a smaller sig?
>
>Have you considered suicide?

That's just uncalled for.  Honestly, your sig is pretty long (whatever
happened to 4 lines as the rule of thumb for max length?), and
statements like these just reduce your credibility.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Inferno "wm/wm"
@ 2001-03-12 13:48 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-12 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that's not what it means in the context (of stoppard's play).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1702 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:57:51 GMT

    forsyth> [...] interpretation of words can indeed be non-trivial.
    forsyth> Cutlery.

*Ahem*

Telling someone to fork-off is definitely rude.