* Re: [9fans] Second silly question of the day..
@ 2001-06-01 17:05 F.J.Ballesteros
From: F.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-06-01 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When I mess up my cpurc/vga I boot it as a terminal using a regular
9pcdisk.gz kernel; then I fix it---of course that's to avoid rebooting
the file server to put it into `allow' mode.

But maybe there's  a better way...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1988 bytes --]

From: Ish Rattan <ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] Second silly question of the day..
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:53:06 -0400 (EDT)

I was running a standalone cpu/auth server with rio too on console.
To try a new monitor I changed the line from uax/vga -l 1024x768x8
to 1280x1024x8 in /rc/bin/cpurc just before exec command for rio..

The system does boot but console is blank (monitor does not know how
to display). I triwd to get into the system using drqwterm from a FreeBSD
machine and user bootes but it won't let me change the file cpurc :-(

Any ideas on fixing the problem????

- ishwar

* [9fans] Austin, Tx: Build Your Own Box
@ 2001-06-03  3:59 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-06-03  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oye! Oye! Oye! Build Your Own Box! But Don't Do It Alone!

Sponsored by ESSI, Hanger 18, The Austin Linux Group, Austin Cypherpunks,
& LinuxLink, Inc.

Pass it around!!!!!!!! (Yeah, this means you)

Where you say?

Emperor Systems
Dan Lee Vogler
2538 S. Congress Avenue #300 (3rd floor)
512-440-1132
plan9@hdtv.net
Noon until 6pm

What is going on?

We'll be helping build a variety of boxes and hosting some short talks and
demonstrations. We're still working on the talk/demo's, but if you're
interested in doing one then contact,

Jim Choate
ravage@ssz.com
512-451-7087

At least one of the talks will be by Stu Green (one of the founders of ALG)
on his proposal for a 'Open Source Forge' here in Austin.

Why would I be interested?

The purpose of the BYOB is to help users of Plan 9 and Linux (or Inferno, or
QNX, or BSD, or ...) to network in the community. We do this by helping people
build their first box, update or upgrade an existing machine, or perhaps
provide some other service to the user community (e.g. a talk on public key
management). So, if you've a small business or a particular interest in some
application you might want to consider giving a short (30 min. or up) talk or
demonstration. Hangar 18 in particular is hoping to make considerable gains in
providing a public access Plan 9 resource site through these activities.

With regard to Plan 9 machines, we recommend the following minimums for a
IO/Auth server (the 'entry' level server):

K6 or Pentium One - 75MHz  or better
32 Meg RAM or more
540 Meg ide HD or more
S3 Virge or ATI Rage-128 PCI video card w/ 4Meg or more
Intel or 3COM PCI NIC card
THREE ( 3 ) button PS/2 mouse ( not a wheel mouse )
4X or better ATAPI/ide CD-ROM drive.
1.44 Floppy Drive

For more information on Plan 9 or the Hangar 18 Co-Op please visit,

http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18

Mr. OLU at Low Budget PC has all these parts "CHEAP" at 707-8044. (And no,
they're not directly involved and we dont receive any sort of return for
endorsment - not that this is mind you)

Many thanks to Dan of Emperor Systems in providing a location to make this
possible.

With respect to refreshments, we ask everyone to try to bring something.
Several of us are going to try and raise enough $$$ by donation to
get a Chinese take out around 2pm for all attendee's. We currently have
$60 donated. Please consider helping out in this fine culinary endeavour.

See you there!

              "...where annual election ends, tyranny begins;"

                               Thomas Jefferson & Samuel Adams

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com

* [9fans] I forgot the date (Doh!) -- Austin, Tx.: Build Your Own Box
@ 2001-06-03 19:40 ` Jim Choate