* [9fans] OT: OpenForge Re: new here (fwd)
@ 2002-02-13  5:38 Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-02-13  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alg
  Cc: 9fans, austin-cpunks, sci-tech, cypherpunks, The Club Inferno,
	root, hangar18, openforge, moshe

Hi,

One time notice...

The name resolver issues are resolved. The domains should be updated and
active by Thursday. We'll be moving SSZ over from it's current connection
sometime this weekend. All the current SSZ mailing lists will move with
the exeption of the Cypherpunks related ones and Club Inferno. These bring
me entirely too many subpeonas and visits from 'shady characters' for me
to want to share that privilige with others ;) The Austin Cypherpunks are
expected to be active in projects however (I'm still wanting to build a
radiation based diode RNG, versus a Geiger-Meuller tube). First I need to
get 'igor' (Perl based anon remailer/mail list manager) working and that
isn't really scheduled to even start until something like July (we've got
to finish the initial server farm first).

Stu is working on the physical meeting and we should have something worked
out in the next week or two. We hope to have the first meets the last of
Feb. or first week of March. We hope to have weekly meetings with topics
in a variety of areas. However, we are NOT primarily a support
organization, we are focused on projects and services. The Austin
Cypherpunks will continue with their traditional monthly 'social' meeting.
For more mundane project discussion one of the Open Groups meetings will
be more workable.

The 802.11b's are about 10 miles apart (~183@Target, & ~48th@Duval,
we'll be adding one in Leander in the near term as well) and will be
accessible only by Open Forge/Hangar 18 participants (to all those local
users groups that declined our invitation - your loss - we tried to be
more liberal and you said 'no'). The proposed site in Elgin was dropped
when the sponsor decided it wasn't worth his time. We are looking for any
potential participants in that area.

I understand that OpenMosix is now available (see /. for more info). As
soon as I can get some time I'll build up a box and make it available to
participants.

Thank you and good night.