* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-07 14:02 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You really can't run a standalone cpu server/terminal
and log in as a different person than the cpu host owner.

You'd have to split all the things in the kernel
that are currently owned by the host owner into
things owned by the host owner and things owned
by the current terminal user, and then have a way
to change the current terminal user.

Even if you successfully got the right environment
set up on the path you're trying (you need to start
a new auth/factotum, by the way, to make upas/fs work),
you won't be able to do things like get at /dev/draw,
since it is owned by the host owner.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-10  9:57 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2002-06-10  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote in message news:<1426d7f5379b3e7984924e66295c2385@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> You really can't run a standalone cpu server/terminal
> and log in as a different person than the cpu host owner.

That's the conclusion :_) thanks.

> You'd have to split all the things in the kernel
> that are currently owned by the host owner into
> things owned by the host owner and things owned
> by the current terminal user, and then have a way
> to change the current terminal user.
>
> Even if you successfully got the right environment
> set up on the path you're trying (you need to start
> a new auth/factotum, by the way, to make upas/fs work),
> you won't be able to do things like get at /dev/draw,
> since it is owned by the host owner.
>
> Russ

After all, there aren't solution?. I can't use Plan9 for standalone
workstation?.

How to live with a plan9 workstation in a unix world? (without modify
unix boxes)

Well, i suppose i need to buy some computers then. And make a complete
plan9 netkwork.

PD: Nemo mi ingles-madrile�o me delata :)  No tendras el kernel
comentado en espa�ol verdad :?

* [9fans] Re: cpu server/terminal combination
@ 2002-06-10 11:36   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-06-10 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave wrote:

> After all, there aren't solution?. I can't use Plan9 for standalone
> workstation?.
>
> How to live with a plan9 workstation in a unix world? (without modify
> unix boxes)
>
> Well, i suppose i need to buy some computers then. And make a complete
> plan9 netkwork.

http://open-forge.org

              When I die, I would like to be born again as me.

                                            Hugh Hefner
     ravage@ssz.com                                         www.ssz.com
     jchoate@open-forge.org                          www.open-forge.org