* Re: [9fans] Auth server setup problem
@ 2000-08-10 12:59 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-10 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you have a prompt at a graphical
screen, just start rio yourself.

If you have no graphical screen, the
problem is likely that you need to
compile a pccpudisk kernel with
the right vga driver in it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Auth server setup problem
@ 2000-08-10 14:44 ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2000-08-10 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> writes:

> If you have a prompt at a graphical
> screen, just start rio yourself.

That was my first shot but it gives me an "can't open
display ... ". :-)

> If you have no graphical screen, the
> problem is likely that you need to
> compile a pccpudisk kernel with
> the right vga driver in it.

Mmm, I've made an "mk 'CONF=pccpudisk' 9pccpudisk" without
any error message. Mk reports things like "8c -FVw vga.c"
and "8c -FVw vgas3.c" so I think that the S3 driver is
compiled in. I have an Phoenix S3 TRIO64V+ which works
great with the 9pcdisk kernel. I've made some experiments
mit aux/vga under the 9pcdisk kernel and it looks like that
Plan 9 recognized the S3 Card very well.

Now I'll go to read the mk manpage and the mkfile and
try to find a solution. Maybe someone give me a kick. ;-)

Many thanks
Matthias

--
Matthias Teege -- matthias@mteege.de -- http://emugs.de
make world not war

* Re: [9fans] Auth server setup problem
@ 2000-08-10 15:12   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2000-08-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Matthias Teege wrote:

> > If you have a prompt at a graphical
> > screen, just start rio yourself.
>
> That was my first shot but it gives me an "can't open
> display ... ". :-)

That's usually your card not being recognized... You may have to edit the
mkfile for 9pccpudisk to include the drivers for your card (I had to do the
same for my ATI, which is not included in it by default)...

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Auth server setup problem
@ 2000-08-10 15:23     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2000-08-10 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> That's usually your card not being recognized... You may have to edit the
> mkfile for 9pccpudisk to include the drivers for your card (I had to do the
> same for my ATI, which is not included in it by default)...
>
> andrey

oops, i admit i replied quite hastily...
there is another reason why the device may not be found -- your
monitor/card/resolution settings are not found in vgadb (this results in an
error message on boot normally)..

at any rate if the drivers for your card are compiled in the kernel you
should search for an error message on boot to explain why things are not
working... also see if $vgasize is set to a proper resolution/bpp

andrey

* [9fans] Auth server setup problem
@ 2000-08-10 11:08 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2000-08-10 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I've setup plan9 on two PC's succesfully. Today I want to
setup one of them as my first CPU/Auth server as described
in "Getting Started With Plan 9". I've changed the
configuration, build an new kernel and reboot the
machine. The system comes up and stopped because I made a
mistake in cpurc (ifconfig instead ipconfig). I correct
this one and reboot again. The PC stoopped again because
of there ist no /sys/log/cron. So I create one with
"disk/kfscmd 'create /sys/log/cron sys sys 666 l'".

Then I reboot again and the system brings a console
message about the permissions of upas' /sys/cron/log and
stopped at the command line prompt '#ngen'.

At this point I didnt have any idea whats going wrong. Rio
didnt come up as described in the manual. Were can I
lookup or what can be the problem?

May thanks for any hint.

Matthias