* Re: [9fans] passwd
@ 2001-01-03  1:40 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-01-03  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  What I couldn't do was set a password.  Passwd returns "protocol
  botch: cs: can't translate address(net!$auth!ticket)."  I assume
  this is because it is a stand alone system.  The system has a
  NIC that I hope to use for printing &c on my LAN.  Any workaround or
  suggestions?

If you don't want to connect to the system
remotely, don't worry about it -- booting
standalone the password is never used.

If you do want to connect to it remotely,
you'll want to set up a standalone cpu/auth
server.  plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.pdf
has some info on that near the end.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] passwd
@ 2001-01-09  9:39 ` Bob Solomon
From: Bob Solomon @ 2001-01-09  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   What I couldn't do was set a password.  Passwd returns "protocol
>   botch: cs: can't translate address(net!$auth!ticket)."  I assume
>   this is because it is a stand alone system.  The system has a
>   NIC that I hope to use for printing &c on my LAN.  Any workaround or
>   suggestions?
>
> If you do want to connect to it remotely,
> you'll want to set up a standalone cpu/auth
> server.  plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.pdf
> has some info on that near the end.
>
> Russ
Thanks.  I'm confused about these stand-alone-cpu/auth-servers.
Does all this run on one box?  That is, can the auth server run
on the stand alone box?

* Re: [9fans] passwd
@ 2002-05-23 14:27 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-05-23 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Because that would seem too natural?  I'ld just run ssh
and was influenced by it.

I changed passwd.c it to make that work instead.  I like it better.
grab

/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/auth/passwd.c
/n/sources/plan9/sys/man/1/passwd
/n/sources/plan9/386/bin/passwd

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3094 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 33 bytes --]

why not
	passwd user@authdom

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1572 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] passwd
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:43:47 -0400

I put a new /386/bin/passwd and /sys/src/cmd/auth/passwd.c on sources.
The old one had a bug.  To set a password on anything other than
your default domain:

	passwd -u <username> <authdomain>

so if your user name is nemo on sources that would be

	passwd -u nemo outside.plan9.bell-labs.com

* Re: [9fans] passwd
@ 2002-05-23 14:00 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-05-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

why not
	passwd user@authdom

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1572 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:43:47 -0400

I put a new /386/bin/passwd and /sys/src/cmd/auth/passwd.c on sources.
The old one had a bug.  To set a password on anything other than
your default domain:

	passwd -u <username> <authdomain>

so if your user name is nemo on sources that would be

	passwd -u nemo outside.plan9.bell-labs.com

* [9fans] passwd
@ 2002-05-23 13:43 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-05-23 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-01-02 19:53 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-01-02 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wogsolNOSPAM, 9fans

> What I couldn't do was set a password.  Passwd returns "protocol
> botch: cs: can't translate address(net!$auth!ticket)."  I assume
> this is because it is a stand alone system.  The system has a
> NIC that I hope to use for printing &c on my LAN.  Any workaround or
> suggestions?

The connection server doesn't know which auth server to use.  If you have one,
there are a number of ways to proceed.

1) echo -n '	auth=<ip-address-of-auth-server> >> /net/ndb'
2) fix your /lib/ndb/local so that it knows what the auth server is for your
  system.  You can do this by
 a) adding an 'auth=<ip-address-of-auth-server> to the network entry for your system
 b) adding an 'auth=<ip-address-of-auth-server> to the network entry for your network

I'ld do 2b if you have multiple systems since it will solve it for all of them.

* Re: [9fans] passwd
@ 2001-01-02 17:48 Bob Solomon
From: Bob Solomon @ 2001-01-02 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[reposting because it didn't get there in twelve hours...]
Snowed in today. About a foot of snow here, 50 mi. north of
NYC...

Managed to  add a real user today.  Struggled through
bin/rc/riostart and so on.  That is a nice fortune file you have
there at bell labs.

What I couldn't do was set a password.  Passwd returns "protocol
botch: cs: can't translate address(net!$auth!ticket)."  I assume
this is because it is a stand alone system.  The system has a
NIC that I hope to use for printing &c on my LAN.  Any workaround or
suggestions?

Thanks

* Re: [9fans] passwd
@ 2001-01-02 17:48 ` Bob Solomon