* Re: [9fans] loopback question
@ 2001-03-28 15:53 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-03-28 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Make sure you have loopbackmedium in your kernel, e.g.,

link
	ethermedium
	loopbackmedium

Then just use ipconfig to set it up:

% ip/ipconfig loopback /dev/null 127.1

The /dev/null is not meaningful, it's ignored, ipconfig just
needed a positional parameter there.

Anything sent to 127.1 will loop back at the bottom of the stack.
Is that what you wanted?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2040 bytes --]

From: Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] loopback question
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:35:21 -0700 (MST)

I was playing around last night trying to see how to get IP loopback to
go, since I don't yet have a working network iface on my thinkpad and I
want to play with export/import of filesystems.

Is it possible to use devloopback as an IP loopback interface, or will
that not quite work. My few initial attempts did not work. If not, is
there a way to do IP loopback?

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] loopback question
@ 2001-03-28 16:09 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2001-03-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Anything sent to 127.1 will loop back at the bottom of the stack.
> Is that what you wanted?

It's perfect. Thanks.

ron

* Re: [9fans] loopback question
@ 2001-03-28 15:57 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-03-28 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the update includes a loopbackmedium that can be configured and used in the ip stack.
usage will be something like

	echo bind loopback >/net/ipifc/clone
# find which  ipifc was assigned, call that n
	echo add 127.0.0.1 >/net/ipifc/n/ctl

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2123 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:35:21 -0700 (MST)

I was playing around last night trying to see how to get IP loopback to
go, since I don't yet have a working network iface on my thinkpad and I
want to play with export/import of filesystems.

Is it possible to use devloopback as an IP loopback interface, or will
that not quite work. My few initial attempts did not work. If not, is
there a way to do IP loopback?

thanks

ron

* [9fans] loopback question