* [9fans] standalone cpu/auth server??
@ 2001-08-22 14:25 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-08-22 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello

I am trying to set up a standalone cpu/auth server.

After setting up terminal and performing the steps needed (as
listed in getting started with plan 9), booting with 9pccpud reaults
in the following message
root is from (local, il)[local!#S/sdC1/fs]:
boot: #c/hostowner: bad arg in system call
cpu# pwd
/usr
cpu# who

none
cpu#

Shouldn't it be bootes? I have no clue to what is wrong? To redo the
install do I have to redo the terminal part too? Also, I installed the
distribution on primary slave disk (/dev/sdC1) and did change occurences
of sdC0 to sdC1 in /sys/src/9/boot/key.c (to take care of nvram on sdC1)
before generating 9pccpudisk.

-ishwar

* [9fans] Standalone cpu/auth server??
@ 2002-05-07 20:28 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2002-05-07 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been succesful in bringing up apu/auth serve. The next step
of connecting from a Linux box using drawterm (old version) has a
little problem. The challenge/response dialog never terminates -- auth
fails!. I also tried to remake the auth info using

	auth/changeuser glenda

man times too.

Any ideas?

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] standalone cpu/auth server??
@ 2001-08-22 18:58     ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2001-08-22 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| >boot: bad nvram key: file does not exist
| >password:		(for which user???)

Alas, errstr fails to live up to its full potential.

* Re: [9fans] standalone cpu/auth server??
@ 2001-08-22 17:19   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-08-22 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0108221144410.14515-100000@pali.cps.cmich.edu> you write:
>On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Russ Cox wrote:
>
>> Something about your nvram is hosed.  Try doing
>> 	echo asdfasdfasdf >/dev/sdC1/nvram
>> and then reboot again.  If it still
>I have tried that. The boot messages change to
>boot: bad nvram key: file does not exist
>password:		(for which user???)

For bootes, of course.  :-)

>authid[no default]:

At this point, enter ``bootes'' or whatever auth user you're using.

>authdom[bootes]:

I'm not sure why the default is bootes here; normally, one enters
one's Internet domain.

>boot: #c/hostowner: bad arg in system
>call
>
>cpu# who
>
>none
>cpu#

It looks like the authid is a blank string here (ie, "").

>Also, I put print statments in /sys/src/9/boot/key.c after
>fd = open("#S/sdC1/nvram", ORDWR);
>and open is successful (fd is 3).
>
>Is it possible to have nvram on a disk other than sdC0?
>Can I use another cpu/auth server to boot this one (how)??

It looks like everything's okay, but you've got to enter the auth
user's password and ID after zeroing out the nvram (I guess you're
not really zeroing it, but you know what I mean).

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] standalone cpu/auth server??
@ 2001-08-22 17:00 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-08-22 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: 9fans

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> After you invalidate the nvram with the echo,
> you need to fill it in at the prompts.
>
> password: <anything you like>
> authid: whatever user you want, like "bootes"
> authdom: authentication domain, just a comment, like cps.cmich.edu.
>
> The bad arg in system call is likely because you're
> not typing a user id at the authid prompt.  That's also
> why the empty string shows up as a user in your
> who listing.
Got this far (and thanks). I did use auth/changeuser for user glenda
but connection attempt using  drawterm doesn't get beyond
challenge/response attempts.

@ 2001-08-22 16:23 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-22 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After you invalidate the nvram with the echo,
you need to fill it in at the prompts.

password: <anything you like>
authid: whatever user you want, like "bootes"
authdom: authentication domain, just a comment, like cps.cmich.edu.

The bad arg in system call is likely because you're
not typing a user id at the authid prompt.  That's also
why the empty string shows up as a user in your
who listing.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] standalone cpu/auth server??
@ 2001-08-22 15:52 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-08-22 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: 9fans

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> Something about your nvram is hosed.  Try doing
> 	echo asdfasdfasdf >/dev/sdC1/nvram
> and then reboot again.  If it still
I have tried that. The boot messages change to
boot: bad nvram key: file does not exist
password:		(for which user???)
authid[no default]: authdom[bootes]: boot: #c/hostowner: bad arg in system
call

cpu# who

none
cpu#

@ 2001-08-22 14:22 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Something about your nvram is hosed.  Try doing
	echo asdfasdfasdf >/dev/sdC1/nvram
and then reboot again.  If it still
doesn't work, then the system isn't
finding your nvram partition properly.