* Re: [9fans] how small can you get (fwd)
@ 2002-02-09 19:59 Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2002-02-09 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just wanted to mention some reaction to the "small kernel" posting from
this list.

This "make the kernel small" silliness is necessary because FLASH parts on
motherboards have gotten *smaller*, rather than *larger*, in the last 18
months, and to top it off the vendors aren't even wiring up all 19 address
lines to the parts that are there -- just 18. Disk On Chip is increasingly
become hard to use due to the move from DIP32 to QFP packaging. So due to
packaging and flash size constraints we are looking at 256KB flash for a
while. As a result we need itsy kernels.

Plan9 so far is the "itsy kernel" winner.

Also the "fallback image" Eric mentions is an etherboot bios that runs if
things are really broken.

ron