* Re: [9fans] uncompressing .tar.Z
@ 2002-11-10 23:24 athiele
From: athiele @ 2002-11-10 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry to reply directly to you fst.
Hey I appreciate it, I want to try out kaffe.
What do you think about the Squeak thing ?

* Squeak -- Re: [9fans] uncompressing .tar.Z
@ 2002-11-11 13:32 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-11-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 athiele@charter.net wrote:

> What do you think about the Squeak thing ?

Is that Squeak as in Smalltalk Squeak? Very cool.
A couple of us in Hangar 18 are using it. There is
apparently some connection with Austin, Tx. since
they make specific mention of it in the book. One
of my goals for next year is to talk to them about
a port to Plan 9.

    We don't see things as they are,                      ravage@ssz.com
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  jchoate@open-forge.org
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org

* Re: Squeak -- Re: [9fans] uncompressing .tar.Z
@ 2002-11-11 23:07 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-11-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Russ Cox wrote:

> I looked at porting Squeak to Plan 9 a few years ago
> and it doesn't look too hard.  I played with it under
> Windows for a while, and came away with the impression
> that it was a really powerful system that I didn't really
> understand how to use.

What I had in mind was using it's XML support to drive the VRML engine
that is in there to create 3D worlds (where all system and web
resources would be located) for users to wander around in via their
'avatar'. It would also allow some pretty nifty multi-player games as
well (I think 9P is way ahead here).

For those who want to go a bit farther than the Squeak book I'd like
to suggest (though it doesn't use Squeak):

Object-Oriented Implementations of Numerical Methods
An Introduction with Java and Smalltalk
D.H. Besset
ISBN 1-558-60679-3
~$60 US

@ 2002-11-11 22:27 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-11-11 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 athiele@charter.net wrote:

> Yes Smalltalk Squeak.
> It just seems like a good fit. I downloaded the sources today to see how far off we are. It really doesn`t look that bad. Currently, I don`t have the time for an all out port effort, but I will see what I can do.
>      Please keep me updated if the Hangar 18 crew does any work, that way we can coordinate efforts.

Roger, wilco.

@ 2002-11-11 17:12 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-11-11 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I looked at porting Squeak to Plan 9 a few years ago
> and it doesn't look too hard.  I played with it under
> Windows for a while, and came away with the impression
> that it was a really powerful system that I didn't really
> understand how to use.

I looked at it about six months ago and also agreed it wouldn't be
terribly difficult.  The hardest part would be implementing the
graphics primitives used by the system and called from smalltalk,
and similarly with the audio support.

It looked like a few weeks of work, but I didn't have the time.

	- Dan C.

* Re: Squeak -- Re: [9fans] uncompressing .tar.Z
@ 2002-11-11 16:58 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-11 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I looked at porting Squeak to Plan 9 a few years ago
and it doesn't look too hard.  I played with it under
Windows for a while, and came away with the impression
that it was a really powerful system that I didn't really
understand how to use.

Russ

* Re: Squeak -- Re: [9fans] uncompressing .tar.Z
@ 2002-11-11 13:51 athiele
From: athiele @ 2002-11-11 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes Smalltalk Squeak.
It just seems like a good fit. I downloaded the sources today to see how far off we are. It really doesn`t look that bad. Currently, I don`t have the time for an all out port effort, but I will see what I can do.
     Please keep me updated if the Hangar 18 crew does any work, that way we can coordinate efforts.

Adrian

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2317 bytes --]

From: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Cc: <hangar18-general@open-forge.org>
Subject: Squeak -- Re: [9fans] uncompressing .tar.Z