* [9fans] updates on sources
@ 2002-12-13  8:30 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-12-13  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I pushed out a few big updates this evening.

 *	The %s and %S verbs no longer require the string
	to be nul-terminated if a precision is given.
	This is the way the old print library behaved,
	and it's useful when you're doing various text
	processing.  Thanks to rog.

	This is not actually that big a change except that
	it changes every binary in the system.  Sigh.
	Eventually the print library will stabilize.

 *	The libmemdraw and libmemlayer libraries have
	been updated to handle the full suite of Porter-Duff
	compositing operators.  Devdraw is updated too
	(it's a backwards-compatible change to the protocol)
	though draw(3) and libdraw are not yet updated.
	That will happen in the next few days.  I'll post
	more then.  Thanks to Vita Nuova (specifically jrf,
	I believe) for the code.

 *	The kernel build process has changed a bit, mainly
	to make it easier to put all sorts of cruft into the root
	file system.  Details in an email to follow.

 *	More venti tools.  Details in an email to follow.

 *	Might as well mention that ssh supports agent
	forwarding.  ssh -f unix will set up agent forwarding
	so that if you run "ssh elsewhere" on the unix machine,
	the RSA authentication happens via factotum.
	This is a few weeks old, but I never mentioned it.

 * 	I installed new kernels into /386.  If you have done
	a recent install (so echo $bootfile says
	sdC0!fs!/386/9pcdisk instead of sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk.gz)
	then you'll boot the new kernel automatically when
	you reboot.  Otherwise you'll need to copy it to 9fat.

	If you're booting striaght out of /386 and find that
	the new kernel doesn't work for you, edit your plan9.ini
	(or copy c:/plan9/plan9ini.bak to c:/plan9/plan9.ini
	and edit that) and change the boot file to /386/_9pcdisk.gz,
	which is the old kernel (and then tell us; mail 9trouble).

	As a reminder,

		pc/bootfloppy /dev/fd0disk plan9.ini

	can be used to make a new boot floppy.

 *	Sources is now running the 4e file server as a
	field test.  If you see anything strange, please
	let us know.

As usual, if you don't want to download the changed
binaries one by one, you can download a bleeding
edge CD image from the updates page and use that
(usually they're updated a few hours from now,
but I just did a manual update, so it's there as you
read this).

Enjoy.

Russ

* [9fans] Q: Using Plan 9 documentation in talks?
@ 2002-12-13 13:40 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-12-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I've been asked to give a short (ie 1 hour) talk on Plan 9 to the Austin
Robot Group in Feb. As a result I am starting to put a presentation
together and was wondering what the limitations were regarding using
diagrams and pieces of text in such a talk. An example is that I intend
to use 'Diagram 1' from "Plan 9 from Bell Labs" early in the talk.

What sort of notice is required? Would a single statement at the beginning
stating that pieces of the presentation are from the Plan 9 source
material be sufficient or do I need to have a tag on each such snippet?
Are there any examples of other presentations that might be available for
reference?

If we can get the hardware resources pulled together I intend to create a
demo network consisting of the following:

	I/O-Auth
	I/O
	2 Process
	Filesystem

We may drop this due to the necessary effort, the site doesn't have
Internet access so we can't use the existing Hangar 18 network
unfortunately.

If anyone else has done anything remotely like this I'd appreciate hearing
about your experience (ie things to watch out for or focus on). If I could
gain access to your presentation material it would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be happy to give credit where it is due.

Thanks.

    We don't see things as they are,                      ravage@ssz.com
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  jchoate@open-forge.org
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org

* Re: [9fans] Q: Using Plan 9 documentation in talks?
@ 2002-12-13 15:22   ` rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2002-12-13 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's called Figure 1, not Diagram 1, and it's required in all
Plan 9 presentations except the auth talk, in which case
use Figure 1a.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Q: Using Plan 9 documentation in talks?
@ 2002-12-13 15:22   ` matt
From: matt @ 2002-12-13 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try something from the mailing list.

How about :

"The Plan 9 community is so damned inbred it isn't funny, and it -will-
cause Plan 9 to fail. -YOU- will cause it to fail."

* Re: [9fans] Q: Using Plan 9 documentation in talks?
@ 2002-12-14 13:06     ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2002-12-14 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general

Thanks to all those who provided feedback. I'llt take it in the proper
consideration.

Since I never got an answer regarding correct citation in regards
copyright (ie single or multiple) I've decided to use none of the
Lucent/Bell Labs material directly.

@ 2002-12-13 15:18 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-12-13 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

last time i gave a demo of plan 9 i just sat down with a laptop and showed
what it was to use the system. in my experience that's much
better than all the pretty powerpoint one can get...

'now this is the kernel, see how small'
'this is how a pipe works'
'binding namespaces in the same directory works like that'
'see me cpu to another machine, look at how 'stats' reacts'

it is best if there are at least a cpu server or two...

@ 2002-12-13 15:11 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-12-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans