* [9fans] [hangar18-general] Austin Weekly Social & Other Local Events (fwd)
@ 2003-07-28  1:46 Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-07-28  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eff-austin; +Cc: 9fans

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:38:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
To: hangar18-general@open-forge.org
Cc: hell@einstein.ssz.com, austin-cpunks@einstein.ssz.com,
     open-science-general@open-forge.org
Subject: [hangar18-general] Austin Weekly Social & Other Local Events

Asymmetric Clustering...

          Distributed Name Space...

                    Global Sign-on...

                              Guerrilla Networking...

                                        Open Source Technology...

Do these words make your heart beat faster and your breath go shallow?
If so then perhaps you should become involved with Hangar 18. We are
a tit-for-tat group of computer hobbyist of a wide range of skills
intent on building the next computing infra-structure using Open Source
technology. We don't focus on any one form of technology but instead
focus on real world applications in grid or large scale distributed
computing.

Time:                July 31, 2003
                     Last Thursday of each month, excluding national
                     holidays, will be held at the Robot Group
                     7:00 - 9:00 pm (or later)
                     http://open-forge.org

Location:            The Robot Group

                     For directions please contact the Robot Group
                     directly, per their request.

                     http://robotgroup.net

Identification:      We'll be the group with the Plan 9 OS box on the
                     table...;)

Some other events worthy of note,

- Thu. Aug. 15'th, 2003 will be the pool night. I'll be sending a note out
  in a couple of days with more detail. Feel free to bring some friends.
  We expect to play from 8pm to midnight. The H18 crew will pay for the
  first couple of tables (we're working out details still) and then any
  others will be by collection. It's something like $10/table-hour.

- We've been working on the Plan 9 How To and we've managed to compile a
  kernel. It boots and then hangs at the GUI pretty much frozen (at least
  the mouse doesn't work). I've updated the Plan 9 info on the SSZ H18
  homepage.

  http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18

- I intend to begin experimenting with the first mail lists on the Plan 9
  side, using mlmgr. This is a simple mail exploder but looks to be a good
  beginning for a more complicated project. I'm thinking of using it as a
  core for igor.

- Is there any interest in a 1st Saturday Sale trip to Dallas for surplus
  and low-priced computer pieces and parts? The current target is Sept.
  please contact me directly. We'd probably try to hit the Fry's, at least
  one surplus store I know about, and maybe the museum in Ft. Worth. We'd
  probably leave Fri. afternoon/night. A couple of Half Prices as well.

- We're looking for a working riding lawn mower for a Plan 9 based robot
  project. It's gotta have a engine in reasonable shape and the basic
  mechanism must work. We don't care about the paint, seat, etc.

* Re: [9fans] [hangar18-general] Austin Weekly Social & Other Local Events (fwd)
@ 2003-07-28  2:04 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-28  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

from the gentle introduction to plan9:
----------
[SSZ: We are stuck here, after debugging a incorrect video and network
      driver problem we recompiled the kernel and found that it would
      not ask for any sort of login, just went straight to a desktop
      where the mouse didn't work...]
----------

solution: 'echo blablabla > /dev/sd[CD][01]/nvram' to invalidate the nvram.

* [9fans] Re: Austin Weekly Social & Other Local Events (fwd)
@ 2003-07-28  4:01   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-07-28  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> from the gentle introduction to plan9:
> ----------
> [SSZ: We are stuck here, after debugging a incorrect video and network
>       driver problem we recompiled the kernel and found that it would
>       not ask for any sort of login, just went straight to a desktop
>       where the mouse didn't work...]
>

> solution: 'echo blablabla > /dev/sd[CD][01]/nvram' to invalidate the nvram.

Geesh, we just got done doing that. Thanks. We'll give it a shot. Maybe we
need to change where in the process we do that.

We figured it was some sort of authority/security issue.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org