* Re: [9fans] permission bit of /mail/box
@ 2003-09-21 15:16 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2003-09-21 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"On Sun Sep 21 21:33:30 JST 2003, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:"
> I think it is convenient if /mail/box/$user is automatic created
> at the time when /usr/$user is created.

I'm afraid to contradict you, but /mail and /usr is not
necessarily on the same file system.  And more, this should
be relevant to the cron directory too.

* Re: [9fans] permission bit of /mail/box
@ 2003-09-21 15:52 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-09-21 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, YAMANASHI Takeshi wrote:

> "On Sun Sep 21 21:33:30 JST 2003, arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:"
> > I think it is convenient if /mail/box/$user is automatic created
> > at the time when /usr/$user is created.
>
> I'm afraid to contradict you, but /mail and /usr is not
> necessarily on the same file system.  And more, this should
> be relevant to the cron directory too.

Perhaps, but that is clearly the long way around the bend.

The reasonable appreoach is exactly what Yamanashi Takeshi wrote, If
you're going to create users then mount all the relevant namespaces and
do it at one time - and then test it. That way you don't get trouble calls
later on down the road.

 -- --

God exists because mathematics is consistent, and the Devil exist because we
can't prove it.
                          Andre Weil, in H. Eves, Mathematical Circles Adieu

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.com
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.com

* [9fans] Re: permission bit of /mail/box (type correction)
@ 2003-09-21 15:57   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-09-21 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hangar18-general; +Cc: 9fans

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Jim Choate wrote:

> The reasonable appreoach is exactly what Yamanashi Takeshi wrote, If
                                     ^
                                    not

 -- --

@ 2003-09-21 22:00 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-09-21 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm afraid to contradict you, but /mail and /usr is not
> necessarily on the same file system.  And more, this should
> be relevant to the cron directory too.

Good point, but I'd respectfully point out that in that case, it wouldn't
really matter.  In maybe the most common case, /mail and /usr are on the
same filesystem, so creating them at the same time wouldn't hurt anything
and might help some.  Perhaps a good solution would be to make the newuser
command somewhat scriptable, so it could create directories and the like
on the appropriate filesystems all at once.  Or maybe add a small script
function or macro facility to the command interpreter on the filesystem
console.  But then, we're getting pretty close to something like a real
shell.

	- Dan C.