* [9fans] cpu/auth server..
@ 2002-02-07 21:05 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2002-02-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dual Pentium III/750 Mhz pc, Intel Etherexpress NIC and S3-chip
based video card.

It is a stand alone cpu/auth server. It was booting from hard disk
and functioning correctly. After a power outage, it won't boot from
hard disk, so, I tried to boot using a bootfloppy with correct
entry for bootdisk and file info
	bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pccpud
	bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fs
	debug=1
	*nomp=1
in plan9.ini, boots ok and works.

If I comment out the nomp line, the machine boots but end displays
the message shown below and does not start rio.
..
ip/ipconfig: binding device: file does not exist
ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
rc: null list in concatenation
..
%

Any pointers?
-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] cpu/auth server...
@ 2001-06-01 23:51 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-06-01 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> > stat #S/sdC0/fs fails: file does not exist
> > (stat #S/sdC0/fsfs also failed)
>
> SdC0 might not be the disk, where you installed plan9.
> These are the names of the ide disks:

Strangely a standalone cpu/auth server boot from the same
disk correctly..

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] cpu/auth server...
@ 2001-06-01 22:32 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2001-06-01 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> stat #S/sdC0/fs fails: file does not exist
> (stat #S/sdC0/fsfs also failed)

SdC0 might not be the disk, where you installed plan9.
These are the names of the ide disks:
Name		connected to
sdC0 		master/primary controller
sdC1 		slave/primary controller
sdD0 		master/secondary controller
sdD1 		slave/secondary controller

Wolfgang

* [9fans] cpu/auth server...
@ 2001-06-01 19:19 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2001-06-01 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried to boot the pc with a terminal-boot disk (plan9.ini on
floppy and 9pcdisk on hard-disk). The system panics..

user[none]: glenda
password:
stat #S/sdC0/fs fails: file does not exist
(stat #S/sdC0/fsfs also failed)
panic: boot process died: unknown
ktrace: /kernel/path 80164e2...

- ishwar

* Re: [9fans] cpu/auth server
@ 2000-07-07 11:20 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-07-07 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, 9fans, ishwar

> can't authenticate using telnet.

I've now got it working -- I made a typo when creating
/rc/bin/service.auth/il556 and tcp567.

Thanks to Russ and Ish for their help.

Hope that making the file server will be easier ;-)

Ian

* Re: [9fans] cpu/auth server
@ 2000-07-06 15:51 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2000-07-06 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ianb@cs.york.ac.uk wrote:

> Sorry to keep pestering, but I am going to get this
> machine set up as a cpu/auth server, one way or another...
>
> Trying to add a user to the key database: permission denied error
> on the Securenet database. Does keyfs need to be run twice, once
> for the plan9 database and again for the securenet database?
>
> I have tried running it twice ( s/keys/netkeys/ on the args.)
> and it allows addition of users, but will not allow them to connect
> using telnet --- after entering the user, I get
> an "authentication failure" error (and don't get a challenge).

Did you make auth=xxxx entry in /lib/ndb/local?

hth

* [9fans] cpu/auth server
@ 2000-07-05 17:51 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-07-05 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry to keep pestering, but I am going to get this
machine set up as a cpu/auth server, one way or another...

Trying to add a user to the key database: permission denied error
on the Securenet database. Does keyfs need to be run twice, once
for the plan9 database and again for the securenet database?

I have tried running it twice ( s/keys/netkeys/ on the args.)
and it allows addition of users, but will not allow them to connect
using telnet --- after entering the user, I get
an "authentication failure" error (and don't get a challenge).

Any idea what is wrong? Have I just followed the instructions
wrongly?!

Ian