* Re: [9fans] rio on the authentication server
@ 2002-09-03 17:59 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-03 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What do you use the Plan 9 machines for?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] rio on the authentication server
@ 2002-09-03 19:24 ` Brian Hancock
From: Brian Hancock @ 2002-09-03 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Russ, we have a standalone machine running version 3 which acts as a
web server,

http://staff-106.scc.rutgers.edu

it serves full-text latin.  We want to move concordance software to
this machine but first must recompile it to run on Plan 9.  We have the
C source code.

The authentication machine will let people here get some experience with
Plan 9.  Eventually we want to set up a proper Plan 9 network with a file
server.

The laptop I use to write, I use sam, and then create a typeset
version in Latex for printing.  It's also good to connect to the
Internet any place I can get a DHCP connection.
Brian

@ 2002-09-09  0:11   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-09-09  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Brian Hancock wrote:
> The authentication machine will let people here get some experience with
> Plan 9.  Eventually we want to set up a proper Plan 9 network with a file
> server.
>
> The laptop I use to write, I use sam, and then create a typeset
> version in Latex for printing.  It's also good to connect to the
> Internet any place I can get a DHCP connection.

Along these lines, if someone wanted to share files from a standalone
workstation, would it be best to set it up as a standalone auth/(k)fs
server and treat it as a network of one?

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] rio on the authentication server
@ 2002-09-16  0:53 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-16  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Along these lines, if someone wanted to share files from a standalone
> workstation, would it be best to set it up as a standalone auth/(k)fs
> server and treat it as a network of one?

You need an auth server to authenticate the connection.
A standalone auth/kfs server _is_ a network of one.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] rio on the authentication server
@ 2002-09-03 17:35 ` Brian Hancock
From: Brian Hancock @ 2002-09-03 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Russ, it's working now.  BTW, we're going to promote Plan 9 a
little at the Ancient Studies New Technology conference this winter.

http://tabula.rutgers.edu/conferences/ancient_studies2002

We now have 3 Plan 9 machines at the Center for Electronic Texts in the
Humanities, 2 servers and 1 laptop.
Regards,

@ 2002-09-03 16:00 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-03 15:45 ` Brian Hancock
From: Brian Hancock @ 2002-09-03 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Russ, thanks for the reply.  The screen goes to text mode.

bad nvram key
authid: bootes
authdom: staff-82.scc.rutgers.edu
secstore: rutgers
password:
kfs...version...time

init: starting /bin/rc
staff-82#

Can I add aux/vga anywhere in the cpurc file?
Thanks,

@ 2002-09-03 15:27 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-03 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-03 14:50 ` Brian Hancock
From: Brian Hancock @ 2002-09-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm having trouble getting rio to start on an authentication server.  I
put for(i in m i S t) in cpurc and to make sure the video card was in the
new 9pcauth kernel before I compiled it, I just used pcdisk as the basis
for pcauth just changing a couple of lines:

int cpuserver = 1;
boot cpu boot $S/sdC0/

and renamed it and changed plan9.ini to look for 9pcauth after compiling.
Am I on the right track or completely off track?

This is using the 4th edition upgraded from the 3rd.

Thanks,
Brian