* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-27  4:33 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-27  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For those who for whatever reason don't have internet
access while using Plan 9 or those who are behind on
their updates, it's worth noting that you can use the
recently-posted CD as a stand-in for sources to update
your system.  Uncompress it and mount it on /n/dist
and then use /dist/replica/cd with the various replica
commands.  For example,

	bunzip2 < plan9.iso.bz2 >/tmp/plan9.iso
	9660srv
	mount /srv/9660 /n/dist /tmp/plan9.iso
	disk/kfscmd allow
	replica/pull -v /dist/replica/cd
	disk/kfscmd disallow

The advantage the CD has over sources is that it is
compressed, so if you haven't yet grabbed the 60MB
of binaries from earlier this week or the ghostscript
update from two weeks ago, it might be easier to grab
the 65MB CD image.

Of course, updating from the CD image doesn't preclude
updating from sources in the future.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-27  9:37 ` Peter Bornemann
From: Peter Bornemann @ 2002-09-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does this image by any chance contain the missing driver for rtl3189?
Thanks

Peter B

          .         .
          |\_-^^^-_/|
          / (|)_(|) \
         ( === X === )
          \  ._|_.  /
           ^-_   _-^
              ᅵᅵᅵ

* RE: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-27 12:09   ` John Bates
From: John Bates @ 2002-09-27 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm impressed if it does - it looks like a cat to me.

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-30  9:17   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-09-30  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Peter Bornemann wrote:

> Does this image by any chance contain the missing driver for rtl3189?
> Thanks
>
> Peter B
>
>           .         .
>           |\_-^^^-_/|
>           / (|)_(|) \
>          ( === X === )
>           \  ._|_.  /
>            ^-_   _-^
>               °°°

No, it's an image of a cat.

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-30 15:14     ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-09-30 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:
>>Does this image by any chance contain the missing driver for rtl3189?
>>Thanks
>>
>>Peter B
>>
>>          .         .
>>          |\_-^^^-_/|
>>          / (|)_(|) \
>>         ( === X === )
>>          \  ._|_.  /
>>           ^-_   _-^
>>              ���
>

> No, it's an image of a cat.

If you rot13 it, it compiles.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-30 20:12     ` Peter Bornemann
From: Peter Bornemann @ 2002-09-30 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:

> >           .         .
> >           |\_-^^^-_/|
> >           / (|)_(|) \
> >          ( === X === )
> >           \  ._|_.  /
> >            ^-_   _-^
> >               ᅵᅵᅵ
>
> No, it's an image of a cat.

As a matter of fact, I think it's a tomcat :-)

But now, that my ether0 is found, I still have another newbie question.
Does there exist some guidance how to set up a dial-out connection over
pppoe with dynamic IP? Does the think with 0.0.0.0 work?

Thanks for any help!

Peter B

          .         .
          |\_-^^^-_/|
          / (|)_(|) \
         ( === X === )
          \  ._|_.  /
           ^-_   _-^
              ᅵᅵᅵ

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-10-01 15:05       ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-10-01 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Jack Johnson wrote:
> If you rot13 it, it compiles.

If you rot8 it what happens?

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-10-01 16:29         ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-10-01 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:
> Jack Johnson wrote:
>
>>If you rot13 it, it compiles.
>

> If you rot8 it what happens?

Damn, it's that hunza healthy bread recipe scam again in Burushaski!

-J

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-10-01 17:35         ` Peter Bornemann
From: Peter Bornemann @ 2002-10-01 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:

> Jack Johnson wrote:
> > If you rot13 it, it compiles.
>
> If you rot8 it what happens?

It will become a wav file with a meeawww or something like that.

          .         .
          |\_-^^^-_/|
          / (|)_(|) \
         ( === X === )
          \  ._|_.  /
           ^-_   _-^
              ᅵᅵᅵ

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-30 22:34 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-30 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

see ppp(8) for a description of pppoe.

russ

* Re: [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-27 13:52 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-27 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Does this image by any chance contain the missing driver for rtl3189?

Yes.

Russ

* [9fans] new distribution CD posted
@ 2002-09-27  0:56 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-27  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've updated the CD image available from the Plan 9
web site.  It is built from sources as of a few
hours ago.  There are some noteworthy changes to the
install process:

	- booting and installing from CD works
	- text-only install works
	- the default installation boots from /386/9pcdisk
	  in your file system rather than using 9fat

In the text-only install, you get a few messages

	page [sic]: can't find $wsys

when winwatch fails due to the lack of rio, and there's
no way to know (other than by listening to the disk drive)
that "copydist" is making any progress initializing the new
file system, but it's just not worth fixing right now.
The compile-run-debug-edit-compile cycle is just far too painful.

For those creating install disks themselves, you'll
be happy to know that building the install floppy
now uses a meager 45MB of memory, compared with
the previous 90MB.  The program in question (one of
the compressors) has also been tuned to behave
better in the face of being swapped out.  The net
result is that you can reasonably build a disk using
a 96MB system with swap enabled, whereas before it
was effectively impossible.

Enjoy.
Russ