* [9fans] integrating 9load into the linuxbios
@ 2003-04-10 19:24 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-10 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've added this to the wiki, it is Andrey's writeup from last summer. I am
trying to recreate this work, and also am modifying linuxbios to make
things fit better. I will update as I go along. The final goals are
explained in the document.

ron

* Re: [9fans] integrating 9load into the linuxbios
@ 2003-04-10 21:05 ` rsc
From: rsc @ 2003-04-10 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it seems like the linuxbios should just have
a multiboot loader built into it.

* Re: [9fans] integrating 9load into the linuxbios
@ 2003-04-10 22:34   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's not hard to bring up a new kernel with linuxbios. the hard part is that
the hardware is in a weird state, having not ran any of the proprietary bios
(8086 emulation, don't forget) code to initialize it.

things like vga, sometimes even memory, will be in a complete disarray,
nevermind the fact that with linuxbios 9load starts looking for a kernel
before even the hard drive has spun (that's how fast things are).

linux deals well with those things because it doesn't trust the hardware,
freebsd is also fine. plan9 on the other hand didn't know what a $PIR
table is before R4 (i didn't either, but that's a different issue altogether :)...

admittedly the 9fans crowd isn't too interested in this stuff but it's
something Ron cares for to a great extent.

andrey

@ 2003-04-11  1:20   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-11  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> it seems like the linuxbios should just have
> a multiboot loader built into it.

well, that's one option, and it's been done, but I don't want to do it for
this case.

@ 2003-04-11  1:26     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-11  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> admittedly the 9fans crowd isn't too interested in this stuff but it's
> something Ron cares for to a great extent.

yes but they should care :-)

It's our path to building no-disk CPU servers for Grids That Don't Suck.
Plan 9 makes it all work.

Gosh, am I implying that Grids as built now suck? Perish the thought!

@ 2003-04-11  2:32       ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-04-11  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>It's our path to building no-disk CPU servers for Grids That Don't Suck.
>Plan 9 makes it all work.
>
>Gosh, am I implying that Grids as built now suck? Perish the thought!

That actually made me laugh out loud :-)
Don
P.S. Ron, did Andrey send you "the thing"? Email me personally, please