* Re: [9fans] issues after pull
@ 2003-04-14 22:36 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-14 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, northern snowfall wrote:

> At the end of the pull (/usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull), I am getting:
>     fscmd: '/bin/fscmd' directory entry not found
>     /n/kfs/dist/replica/client/_plan9.db: rc (pull): can't open: access
> permission denied

I saw that on my last pull too, but the following one did not have the
error.

ron

* Re: [9fans] issues after pull
@ 2003-04-14 22:47 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-14 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>    fscmd: '/bin/fscmd' directory entry not found
>    /n/kfs/dist/replica/client/_plan9.db: rc (pull): can't open: access permission denied

This sounds like the pull script itself got rewritten
by your pull.  After being rewritten, it then started
executing the new file at the byte offset where it left
off in the old file, which caused your problem.
I don't change pull almost ever, so this won't happen
again (the last change was October 2002).  Pull is
special because it's in glenda's bin directory.
Binaries in standard bin directories are "safeinstalled"
to help avoid this problem.

> Also, after recompiling libs/bin/kernel, installing and rebooting: Acme  faults every
> time I Delete an acme window, or, every once in a while when I Put. Roo?

Aha!  Someone else complained about this too, a week ago,
but I didn't see the bug then.  I fixed the source on sources.
New C library will appear tomorrow morning.  The bug has
gone unnoticed for about six weeks -- looks like acme is the
only program that uses runevsmprint, and I didn't recompile
all the binaries when I made the change, because it didn't
seem worth it.  (I cleaned up some error handling in the
(rune)fmtstr and (rune)vsmprint routines.)

Russ

* [9fans] issues after pull
@ 2003-04-14 23:17 northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-04-14 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
    Thought I'd install a fresh distribution on another computer, tonight.
At the end of the pull (/usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull), I am getting:
    fscmd: '/bin/fscmd' directory entry not found
    /n/kfs/dist/replica/client/_plan9.db: rc (pull): can't open: access
permission denied
I'm not sure whats up with the first issue. The second issue: shouldn't
_plan9.db
be created on installation?
Also, after recompiling libs/bin/kernel, installing and rebooting: Acme
faults every
time I Delete an acme window, or, every once in a while when I Put. Roo?
Don

* Re: [9fans] issues after pull
@ 2003-04-15 10:21   ` Nicholas Waples
From: Nicholas Waples @ 2003-04-15 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 Having to reinstall (dying disk) and then pull, I also found that
my graphics card (Geforce2 MX) no longer worked (could not attach
mmio I think). Rebuilding the kernel fixed this up.

Nick.