* [9fans] "bad authentication domain"
@ 2003-04-23 21:13 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-23 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is on boot, nvram has just been read, and I get this error and then
the prompt for authid.

I think this one is from /boot. Is that right?

How big does nvram need to be on R4? I have one that is 108 bytes. My id
is bootes, and the domain is p9. Should all fit, right?

I'm going to rebuild whatever prints that to try to figure out what it
thinks the auth domain is. I looked at how to build boot but I'm not 100%
sure what to type in such a way I won't hose the system; and hints here?

thanks again

ron

* Re: [9fans] "bad authentication domain"
@ 2003-04-24 12:20 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-24 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Readnvram is printing the message.
If there is an nvram file in 9fat, we usually
make it 512 bytes, just to be one sector.
I think the structure itself is 109 bytes.

Rather than rebuild whatever prints that
(/boot/boot), you could just boot the system
and then use auth/wrkey to reset the nvram.
It's much easier to deal with the user programs
that recompile your kernel unnecessarily.

* Re: [9fans] "bad authentication domain"
@ 2003-04-24 15:08   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-24 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Russ Cox wrote:

> Readnvram is printing the message.

yeah, I got that, and went ahead and built a stupid tool out of
readnvram.c that lets me see what's going on.

As I count it the struct is < 108 bytes but we'll see.

@ 2003-04-24 17:15     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-24 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As the C compiler counts it, sizeof(Nvrsafe) is 112,
so your file is definitely too short.  Maybe you set
nvrlen= something in your plan9.ini?  That would be bad
if it were less than the safe size.

I see

struct Nvrsafe
{
	char	machkey[DESKEYLEN];
	uchar	machsum;
	char	authkey[DESKEYLEN];
	uchar	authsum;
	char	config[CONFIGLEN];
	uchar	configsum;
	char	authid[ANAMELEN];
	uchar	authidsum;
	char	authdom[DOMLEN];
	uchar	authdomsum;
};

g% hoc
7+1+7+1+14+1+28+1+48+1
109
g%

so I think if you have only 108 bytes,
that would explain why the authdom isn't
checksumming properly.

* Re: [9fans] "bad authentication domain"
@ 2003-04-24 17:45       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-24 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

russ you got it. I can't count.