* [9fans] errors compiling an auth kernel
@ 2003-07-03  9:36 Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-07-03  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am trying to compile a pcauth kernel.  I have been getting errors
that I think are related to the bootdir section.  I read another post
by someone who seemed to be having the same problem, but the
suggestions in that thread didn't help:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=Pine.SOL.4.31.0302190126370.15480-100000%40fury.csh.rit.edu&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dbootpcauth.c%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

I tried the bootdir sections that people listed in that thread, and
combinations of them.

Using Russ Cox's suggestion of:

bootdir
 bootpcauth.out boot
 /386/bin/ip/ipconfig
 factotum.hack factotum
 /386/bin/disk/kfs

I get the following messages:

rc ../port/mkdevc pcauth > pcauth.c
.../boot/mkboot pcauth > bootpcauth.c
8c -FVw bootpcauth.c
8l -o bootpcauth.out bootpcauth.8 ../boot/libboot.a8 print.8
bootpcauth.c:8 name not declared: configbootpcauth
bootpcauth.c:8 name not declared: connectbootpcauth
bootpcauth.c:9 initialization of incompatible pointers: method
IND CHAR and INC FUNC(INT, IND IND CHAR) VOID
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: config
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: bin
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: ip
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: ipconfig
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: connect
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: bin
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: ip
bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: ipconfig
too many errors
mk: ../boot/mkboot pcauth > ... : exit status=rc 570: 8c 582: error

I looked at the mkboot script and I didn't understand what it was
supposed to do.  I also looked at the bootdir section of the wiki.

My end goal is to make a standalone machine that can act as an
authserver in addition to being a standalone cpu server (i.e., the
computer I actually type commands at, and run my processes on).  I am
trying to follow the steps in the "Configuring a Standalone CPU
Server" section of the wiki.

Any suggestions of what I should try next would be greatly
appreciated.

--Rob

* Re: [9fans] errors compiling an auth kernel
@ 2003-07-03 13:05 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-03 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

don't user factotum.hack, that doesn't work anymore..

the best thing to do is to do an update (replica/pull) of your system and
compile an unmodified pcauth kernel as it appears in the distribution. once
that's successful (it's been reported to work by several people here) you
can add your ethernet/video hardware do the other sections of the pcauth
file as you desire..

there should be no need to change the bootdir section. the wiki is wrong
there and i'll change it...

andrey