* [9fans] venti+fossil, the boot process, and 48-bit lba
@ 2003-10-22 15:43 Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-10-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've spent the night working to recover/rebuild my venti+fossil
fileserver. The recover part was due to something hosing the
superblock in fossil. No idea what it was. The rebuild part was
to add another disc for use as the venti index so I can use the
much larger disc the index was on for more arenas. I also wanted
to setup the configs on the discs using [venti,fossil]/conf.

I thought this would be easy enough. For recovery, just reformat
fossil with a venti score. Then I could go about rebuilding the
index on the new disc and creating more arenas.

This has led to nothing but trouble. After much pulling of hair
and head-scratching, it turns out that 9load doesn't know how
to handle discs over 128G because it doesn't know anything about
48-bit lba. As a result, when boot tries to start venti and venti
tries to find the arenas, it all goes to hell.

Patches to 9load should be done later today or early tomorrow.

Ron, weren't you working on eliminating 9load from the picture?

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary