* Re: [9fans] adding a new user
@ 2004-02-27  4:34 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-27  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the fossilcons man page contain all information about new users.
depending on installation you may need to create some extra
directories (apart from /usr/newuser, which fossil will create if you
don't tell it not to).  on ucalgary i always forget to create
/mail/box/newuser and /cron/newuser so there's this script i use,
which has the potential to turn into a basic plan9 command if i write
the man page for it:

home% cat /bin/adduser
#!/bin/rc

rfork e

switch( $#*) {
	case 1
		newuser=$1
	case *
		{
			echo 'usage: '^$0^' username'
			exit usage
		}
}

echo 'echo uname '^$newuser $newuser^' >> /srv/fscons'
echo 'echo create /active/mail/box/'^$user $user^' upas d775 >> /srv/fscons'
echo 'echo create /active/cron/'^$user $user $user^' d775 >> /srv/fscons'
home%

it works like 'kill' -- suggesting the command for creating a new
user.  if there's anything extra i can edit the commands in place
before sending them to rc:

home% adduser f2f
echo uname f2f f2f >> /srv/fscons
echo create /active/mail/box/andrey andrey upas d775 >> /srv/fscons
echo create /active/cron/andrey andrey andrey d775 >> /srv/fscons
home%

works only as the fossilcons owner :)

andrey

* [9fans] adding a new user
@ 2004-02-27  5:17 David Caplan
From: David Caplan @ 2004-02-27  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

  I'm quite new to plan9, and I've just installed it on a laptop. Could
  somebody tell me how to add new users? or maybe point me to a man page?

  Also, has anybody installed p9 on a laptop with the Ati Rage Lt Pro
  video card? If so, which video driver are you using?

  Thanks,
    - David

--
David Caplan <david at david.ath.cx>
Key fingerprint: B586 07D3 6EC0 EB36 6866  18C8 79B3 3A94 5898 39A0

* [9fans] dvd decoding/playing
@ 2004-02-27 10:17 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-02-27 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

does anyone know how powerful an x86 i'd need to do
dvd decoding and playing with a good bit of spare capacity?
i was hoping to use (perhaps) EPIA 800 but i wondered if anyone actually
knew, before i went ahead and bought one.  actually, i was hoping
to use a non-x86 but i get the impression that might be more
expensive and less practical.

i tried a google search but i didn't find the right words.

* Re: [9fans] dvd decoding/playing
@ 2004-02-27 10:29   ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2004-02-27 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 11:17 27/02/04, you wrote:
>does anyone know how powerful an x86 i'd need to do
>dvd decoding and playing with a good bit of spare capacity?
>i was hoping to use (perhaps) EPIA 800 but i wondered if anyone actually
>knew, before i went ahead and bought one.  actually, i was hoping
>to use a non-x86 but i get the impression that might be more
>expensive and less practical.
>
>i tried a google search but i didn't find the right words.

I can play a DVD under FreeBSD with my P3-450MHz. So I thing it would work
with the EPIA 800 proc too. However, it seems the EPIA 800 has very slow
floating point unit.
If you want to play the DVD with Plan9, I also suggest you to implement
the overlay part of your video driver.

         Philippe,

http://libmpeg2.sourceforge.net/
http://liba52.sourceforge.net/

* Re: [9fans] dvd decoding/playing
@ 2004-02-27 14:35   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-27 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've done it with a celeron 900 (T23) running FreeBSD (and Windows before
that). With FBSD the only requirement was to have the CDROM drive in DMA
mode instead of the PIO it was defaulted to (choppy otherwise).

andrey

@ 2004-02-27 10:26 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-02-27 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dvd decoding: you'll want a reasonable-performance SIMD, probably SSE (but SSE2 is noticeably better).
a 1GHz Celeron/Duron seems to be the lower limit of comfort.
games: if we're talking about recent ones, there's never a hammer big enough. just use what you have.

Tiit