* [9fans] ndb/cs pcauth pcf
@ 2004-02-28 22:33 David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-28 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'm trying to configure standalone cpu server. I've got it running and could
connect to it with drawterm, but ndb/cs does not set sysname (says cannot
translate service); while when I load with pcf (stock kernel) everythin works,
that the name is set. I've double-checked cpurc and termrc, they do the same
steps with network.

Where to look?

Dvd

* Re: [9fans] ndb/cs pcauth pcf
@ 2004-02-28 22:50 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-28 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you can always set 'sysname=' just before you start ndb/cs. that's a hack,
but i don't see what the problem may be otherwise, unless you're starting
ndb/cs _before_ you've configured the ip address, _or_ you don't have a
proper "sys=yoursys ip=yourip" configuration in /lib/ndb/local, but in this
case the machine will come up with its IP address as the sysname.

andrey

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, David Tolpin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure standalone cpu server. I've got it running and could
> connect to it with drawterm, but ndb/cs does not set sysname (says cannot
> translate service); while when I load with pcf (stock kernel) everythin works,
> that the name is set. I've double-checked cpurc and termrc, they do the same
> steps with network.
>
> Where to look?
>
> Dvd

* Re: [9fans] ndb/cs pcauth pcf
@ 2004-02-28 22:59   ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2004-02-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you can always set 'sysname=' just before you start ndb/cs. that's a hack,
> but i don't see what the problem may be otherwise, unless you're starting
> ndb/cs _before_ you've configured the ip address, _or_ you don't have a
> proper "sys=yoursys ip=yourip" configuration in /lib/ndb/local, but in this
> case the machine will come up with its IP address as the sysname.

Yes, IP as the sysname. Actually, calling ndb/cs before ipconfig
has solved the problem (it is the way it is done in termrc).
ndb/local has a line with ether and sys, so that local name is
set from the MAC address, but the IP address is assigned via DHCP;
I could not make my (FreeBSD) DHCP pass sysname to the Plan9 host.

By the way, now dns is not working, whether before or after, but
since it work with 9pcf, it is my fault somewhere.

David

* Re: [9fans] ndb/cs pcauth pcf
@ 2004-02-28 23:52 ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-28 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm trying to configure standalone cpu server. I've got it running and could
> connect to it with drawterm, but ndb/cs does not set sysname (says cannot
> translate service); while when I load with pcf (stock kernel) everythin works,
> that the name is set. I've double-checked cpurc and termrc, they do the same
> steps with network.

Is there any difference in the bootargs?

The practice I've adopted is to set sysname in plan9.ini and not count
on ndb/cs to set it in cpurc.

* Re: [9fans] ndb/cs pcauth pcf
@ 2004-03-01  3:40     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-03-01  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here's what I finally did for setting sysname on my 9grid cluster, with 9
nodes and a frontend all of which run cpurc.

sysname=`{ndb/query ether `{cat /net/ether0/addr} sys}

I forget but probably stole this one from Andrey.

ron

* RE: [9fans] ndb/cs pcauth pcf
@ 2004-03-01  8:20 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-03-01  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> sysname=`{ndb/query ether `{cat /net/ether0/addr} sys}

cs ought to do this automagically. I ran into this one last November
and there was some discussion on the list (look for "ndb & cs").

>Basically, what I found out was that
>After setting up venti, cs stopped recognising my sysname.
>It was because the loopback interface got up first on boot,
>and because cs looks first by ip address.

Now, I had two alternative ways to deal with it: