* [9fans] watch a second mailbox
@ 2004-04-06 16:29 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-06 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I use /mail/lib/rewrite to redirect some mails to
a separate file. But watching this file with faces
didn't work. I run faces with -i -m
/mail/box/user/special.

Isn't it possible or what do I missing?

Many thanks
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] watch a second mailbox
@ 2004-04-06 16:35 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2004-04-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i do this all the time, but use the plumber rather than a separate file.
that is, if faces is receiving plumbing messages and upas/fs
is always watching all relevant mailboxes (which may mean
multiple upas/fs instances), it just works.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] watch a second mailbox
@ 2004-04-06 16:39 ` plan9
From: plan9 @ 2004-04-06 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I use /mail/lib/rewrite to redirect some mails to
> a separate file. But watching this file with faces
> didn't work. I run faces with -i -m
> /mail/box/user/special.

Is upas/fs watching as well?  Faces reacts to plumb messages.  Only in
its seemail (faces -h) does it show a box directly.

I watch several mailboxes like this in my profile:
upas/fs -n
echo 'open /imap/imap4.blueyonder.co.uk/myboxnumber rtr' >/mail/fs/ctl
echo 'open /imap/imap4.blueyonder.co.uk/myboxnumber_2 p9' >/mail/fs/ctl

and then have this in my riostart:
window -r 100 0 500 120 faces -m /mail/fs/rtr
window -r 500 0 900 120 faces -m /mail/fs/p9

Robby

* Re: [9fans] watch a second mailbox
@ 2004-04-06 16:45   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-06 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i do this all the time, but use the plumber rather than a separate file.
> that is, if faces is receiving plumbing messages and upas/fs
> is always watching all relevant mailboxes (which may mean
> multiple upas/fs instances), it just works.
>
> -rob

% plumber; upas/fs -f /some/other/file; faces -i

same trick (starting a new plumber) works when you want to keep
different acme sessions for different things -- i have a second acme
just for reading mail which i keep deep in the background.
right-clicking on the face of a new email brings it on top.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] watch a second mailbox
@ 2004-04-07  5:51     ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-04-07  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Apr  6 17:15:59 GMT 2004, mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca wrote:

> % plumber; upas/fs -f /some/other/file; faces -i

Ok, after that I can see the mails in the file but if I
right-clocking on one of them it shows me a mail
from the main mailbox with the same message number.

@ 2004-04-07 20:04       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just for the archive:

Turns out nedmail opens /mail/box/user/mbox directly and doesn't go through
/mail/fs/mbox/ (the one upas/fs serves).

The correct solution in this case is to bind the new mailbox over
/mail/box/user/mbox.

andrey