* [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-08-27  9:36 Nigel Roles
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nigel Roles @ 2004-08-27  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I note from the article on the USACO programming contest in the
current Usenix magazine that one of chaps has written an implementation
of vi (the editor, not the mips simulator) in perl.

This is great news, as vi can now much more easily be ported
to other operating systems.

* Re: [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-08-27 10:36 ` dvd
From: dvd @ 2004-08-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I note from the article on the USACO programming contest in the
> current Usenix magazine that one of chaps has written an implementation
> of vi (the editor, not the mips simulator) in perl.
>
> This is great news, as vi can now much more easily be ported
> to other operating systems.

A much more usable solution would be to just implement BSD C library,
termcap, system calls and a C compiler in perl, so that anyone who needs
vi could just run perl and compile and run BSD vi on top of it. nvi is a good
program, after all.

* Re: [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-08-27 10:58 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2004-08-27 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So then rewriting perl in emacs lisp would make vi available
everywhere.

* Re: [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-08-27 13:27   ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2004-08-27 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

geoff@collyer.net wrote:

>So then rewriting perl in emacs lisp would make vi available
>everywhere.

Actually, I've been reminded since that the latest versions
of vim have perl built in. Clearly, therefore, a perl implementation
of vim would actually be smaller.

* Re: [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-08-27 14:36     ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2004-08-27 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/27/2004 09:27, Nigel Roles wrote:

> Actually, I've been reminded since that the latest versions
> of vim have perl built in. Clearly, therefore, a perl implementation
> of vim would actually be smaller.

# ls -l `which vim`
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1706824 Nov 21  2001 /usr/bin/vim*
                                   ^^^^^^^

Ouch!  But I still love it... :_)

~Jason

* Re: [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-08-27 16:04 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-08-27 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

somehow, the guy who wrote a flight simulator "in 1536 bytes of real code"
still remains my hero (ioccc's 98 contest, ioccc.org).

as for file sizes -- plan9's clock.c, which i modified slightly to compile
under plan9port yesterday, turned out to a binary of 2MB... at least it
occupies only 1.8MB ram :) go X!

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-08-27 22:02       ` Joel Salomon
       [not found]         ` <salomo3@cooper.edu>
From: Joel Salomon @ 2004-08-27 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jason Gurtz said:
> # ls -l `which vim`
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1706824 Nov 21  2001 /usr/bin/vim*
>                                    ^^^^^^^
but look at the upside:
$ ls -l `which vi`
lrwxrwxrwx    1 chesky   Users          18 May 17 14:58 /usr/bin/vi ->
vim.exe
                                        ^^
;-)

--Joel

@ 2004-08-28 10:51           ` Andrew Lynch
From: Andrew Lynch @ 2004-08-28 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Aug 27,  6:02pm, Joel Salomon wrote:
> Jason Gurtz said:
> > # ls -l `which vim`
> > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1706824 Nov 21  2001 /usr/bin/vim*
> >                                    ^^^^^^^
> but look at the upside:
> $ ls -l `which vi`
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 chesky   Users          18 May 17 14:58 /usr/bin/vi ->
> vim.exe

That still leaves room for improvement...

% ls -l `which vi`
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys            2 Sep 26  1999 /usr/bin/vi -> ex*

Andrew.

* Re: [9fans] Advances in software technology
@ 2004-09-01  8:58   ` Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-09-01  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <6ffc831da45dcc04aa2839da7c75d259@davidashen.net>,
 <9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:
>> I note from the article on the USACO programming contest in the
>> current Usenix magazine that one of chaps has written an implementation
>> of vi (the editor, not the mips simulator) in perl.
>>
>> This is great news, as vi can now much more easily be ported
>> to other operating systems.
>
>A much more usable solution would be to just implement BSD C library,
>termcap, system calls and a C compiler in perl, so that anyone who needs
>vi could just run perl and compile and run BSD vi on top of it. nvi is a good
>program, after all.

Somebody was working on a rewrite of all the posix shell level tools in
perl, "in order to make them more portable" or some such drivel.  The
people in this world with too much time on their hands should be using it
on something really useful, instead!
--
Aharon (Arnold) Robbins --- Pioneer Consulting Ltd.	arnold AT skeeve DOT com
P.O. Box 354		Home Phone: +972  8 979-0381	Fax: +1 206 350 8765