* [9fans] text paste from drawterm to X
@ 2004-12-06 17:16 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I got a few minutes this morning to fix drawterm's text paste to X. There's
a new source and binaries for Linux and FreeBSD on my web page (sorry, no
access to OSX or Windows):

     http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/drawterm-linux.gz
     http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/drawterm-freebsd.gz
     http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/drawterm.tgz

this enables a user to snarf text in Plan 9 via drawterm and paste it to
an X server's console (xterm/rxvt and friends). You won't be able to paste
to things like web browsers and the like, but you blame X for that :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] text paste from drawterm to X
@ 2004-12-06 17:42   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-06 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks a lot for this.  Just a curiosity though, why isn't
> tolpin's vanishing character fix included?  I've read it
> slows drawterm down (i haven't had time to fiddle with it),
> but if that's the only complaint can it be optionally turned
> on with a flag?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Sam

i didn't include it because i thought it was going to be too big.
that doesn't seem to be the case, so i may do it if enough people are
interested.  i don't get disappearing text at all so it doesn't really
bother me all that much.

for now the source is on the web -- if you get the patch in and think
it doesn't slow you down you can send it to me.

@ 2004-12-06 18:31 ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2004-12-06 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2004-12-06 19:35 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-06 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN; format=flowed, Size: 243 bytes --]

incidentally, a fix required for pasting in the drawterm → X direction
fixes pasting from non-terminal apps in the X → drawterm direction.

you can now select text in firefox and paste it to drawterm.

now to fix copy/paste in vncv...

* Re: [9fans] Drawterm vanishing font fix
@ 2004-12-06 20:51     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-12-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It's atrocious.  It's a hack.  It should be removed at
> the earliest appearance of a true fix.

QED

* [9fans] Drawterm vanishing font fix
@ 2004-12-06 21:44   ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2004-12-06 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's atrocious.  It's a hack.  It should be removed at
the earliest appearance of a true fix.

... but it works.  Andrey has committed a patch to
drawterm that basically performs David Tolpin's workaround
from long ago as a flag (-b) so those of us with (as it seems)
poorly written video drivers can enjoy fonts with drawterm.

The b stands for 'broken stipple,' which as i understand
it is the problem.

Now, should I update the drawterm manpage to document it
or is it so offensive as to be hidden from sight?

Cheers,

Sam