* [9fans] Plan9 VICE port
@ 2005-06-04 15:33 Marco van den Heuvel
From: Marco van den Heuvel @ 2005-06-04 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hiya,

I'm one of the currently active developers of the VICE
emulator package, this package emulates 8-bit cbm
computers (c64, c128, cbm-2, plus4, vic20, pet), and
is located at http://www.viceteam.org

I've made the needed changes to VICE to make it
compile for Plan9, it is done by using the X11
distribution for Plan9.

The test platform I'm using is Plan9 inside vmware,
but I'm not able to start X11 to test VICE, whenever I
use startx I get the error that it cannot open
/dev/draw/new.

Is there any-1 willing to help me by giving me
instructions on how to start X11, or any-1 that has
X11 running on Plan9 willing to test the package for
me ?

Signed, Marco van den Heuvel.

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 VICE port
@ 2005-06-04 18:37 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-06-04 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Is there any-1 willing to help me by giving me
> instructions on how to start X11, or any-1 that has
> X11 running on Plan9 willing to test the package for
> me ?

% ape/X11/X

then in another window:

% DISPLAY=:0
% ape/X11/twm

i apologize for knowing this.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 VICE port
@ 2005-06-06 15:29 ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2005-06-06 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Not 'sparc' but 'spare'. All my sparc boxen run BSD. =)

--
In possibility the eternal, rightly understood, continually lays out
only a small piece at a time

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 VICE port
@ 2005-06-04 20:43 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-06-04 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It sounds like you don't have any graphics.
Is your screen in text or graphics mode?
First you need to run aux/vga to get it into
graphics mode.

On 6/4/05, Marco van den Heuvel <blackystardust68@yahoo.com> wrote:

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 VICE port
@ 2005-06-04 19:52 Marco van den Heuvel
From: Marco van den Heuvel @ 2005-06-04 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-06-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> % ape/X11/X
>
> As soon as I do this I get :
>
> Fatal server error:
>
> Cannot open /dev/draw/new
> last plan 9 error:

in Plan 9 X runs in a window within the default Plan 9 graphical
environment -- rio.

rio should be started when you start the machine if you have a
supported vga card.  just in case, here's how you get /dev/draw in:

plan9% cat mrio
#!/bin/rc

aux/mouse ps2intellimouse
aux/vga -l 1280x1024x24
exec rio -s
plan9%

for more information see the plan 9 wiki, which has instructions on
handling vga issues

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 VICE port
@ 2005-06-04 18:54 Marco van den Heuvel
From: Marco van den Heuvel @ 2005-06-04 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)