* [9fans] CPU server Q.
@ 2000-06-20 11:04 Phillip Stanley-Marbell
From: Phillip Stanley-Marbell @ 2000-06-20 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I've run into some trouble adding a CPU server to my (growing) Plan 9
network.

(1) The start.ps/pdf/html document, at some point, says to do the
following:

	cd /rc/bin/service.auth
	mv authsrv.il566 il566
      	mv authsrv.tcp567 tcp567

well, /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.il566,authsrv.tcp567 do not exist. I
am working with a download from yesterday (06/20/2000).

(2) I edited /sys/src/9/boot/key.c to permit having nvram on sdD0, and
have an 8 sector (~4K) nvram partition. Compile etc & reboot:

After entering passwd, authid ('droog'), authdomain (<return>), system
craps out with (copied down, not snarfed):

	boot: #c/hostdomain : bad arg in system call
	panic : boot process died : unknown

	ktrace...<deletia>

So I do a ^T^T^P, and there are 3 procs going, 'boot' 'genrandom' and
'alarm'. I tried the same vesch with HDD on sdC0, using virgin code and
compiling, same trouble.

The panic in question seems to be called from /sys/src/9/boot/key.c,
line 96, and I think it might be trggered when you give an empty
'hostdomain'.

bug, feature or error twixt kbd and chair ?
-
pip

		"So what's it going to be then, eh ?"

* Re: [9fans] CPU server Q.
@ 2000-06-20 14:28 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-06-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: narteh, 9fans

	The panic in question seems to be called from /sys/src/9/boot/key.c,
	line 96, and I think it might be trggered when you give an empty
	'hostdomain'.

You're right.  Even though the host domain isn't really used by anything
(I never implemented what it was intended for), it has to be non-null.
I'll change the documentation to make sure you enter something.
A domain suffix would be useful since it does appear in the authentication
messages and can aid in debugging.