* [9fans] p9p for win32 ?
@ 2006-09-11 12:10 as234
From: as234 @ 2006-09-11 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A place to start from might be Inferno.

awk,cp, mk, 8c, mv and some other tools have been ported to windows for
inferno. Check in /Nt/386/bin

There may be some subtle differences from plan9ports but I wander if there
might not be some way of taking advantage of the similarities of both
environments.

In fact I wander if some of the libs like libdraw could eventually be used
by both.

* Re: [9fans] p9p for win32 ?
@ 2006-09-12 23:43       ` Michael Teichgräber
From: Michael Teichgräber @ 2006-09-12 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Benn Newman writes:

>> (as long as it has troff, that is what I most want *grin*)

Adding troff appears not to be a big problem, since it relies mostly
on parts of libraries that were already ported to mingw.  In cmd.exe
now I can do something like:

   type test.ms | eqn | tbl | troff -ms | tr2post | psfonts > test.ps

and it will generate a PS file with the same contents as if it had
been generated on plan9port.

I'll put a tarball with these things online within the next few days.

Michael

* Re: [9fans] p9p for win32 ?
@ 2006-09-12  0:34     ` Benn Newman
From: Benn Newman @ 2006-09-12  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Benn Newman said:
> Michael Teichgräber said:
>> If you are interested I can put it online.
> Yes! Yes! Yes!
> (as long as it has troff, that is what I most want *grin*)
>> Perhaps it would be more easy (because of the system interface) to use
>> cygwin, but at that time I didn't have access to Windows and only
>> tried to create some programs for it.
> No, no, no. I couldn't get Plan 9 from Userspace to work with Plan 9.
Id est, with Cygwin.
--
Benn Newman

* Re: [9fans] p9p for win32 ?
@ 2006-09-11 23:24   ` Benn Newman
From: Benn Newman @ 2006-09-11 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-09-11 20:23 ` Michael Teichgräber
From: Michael Teichgräber @ 2006-09-11 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

recently I derived a small build system from parts of p9p using the
original mkfile structure of Plan 9, to be able to create binaries for
Linux and Win32 (using mingw). It has the intention to make it more
easy for me to compile simple, portable command line programs for
Linux and Win32 (and Plan 9), without aiming towards a full system.

For now I can do something like

    % cd pf9/sys/src
    % objtype=mingw
    % mk

and it will build some stuff using the mingw compiler, which is
accessed through a script w32c, that has been derived from p9p's 9c.

It already contains libbio and some of the portable parts of lib9
(including fmt and utf) from p9p, and one can build `sort' and `awk'
(the latter is not from p9p, and independent of lib9). Some files will
have to be translated to the Win32 interface, I already did some work
on parts of open.c, create.c, time.c, but these were the more simple
problems.

@ 2006-09-11 17:21 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-09-11 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyone done any work trying to port p9p to win32?

i think this would be very useful. 9pm is a little out of date.
i've made several false starts.

> If not I may make a start, using mingw as the compiler, unless
> anyone has strong views whi I should use MSVC, Borland, LCC etc.

drawterm compiles fine with mingw/msys natively. i think rsc
cross compiles it from linux - and that works too. also, M$ has
made their compilers and a version of their ide (visual studio express)
available free of charge.

* Re: [9fans] p9p for win32 ?
@ 2006-09-11 14:37 ` Richard Bilson
From: Richard Bilson @ 2006-09-11 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Anyone done any work trying to port p9p to win32?

Actually, I've been trying to get around to that, but I haven't gone
any farther than browsing around Russ's "for reference only" win32
code.

> I am after just the command line tools (ls, cp, awk, rc, mk etc)
> though the full gui would be nice :-)

I want vac, although the rest is gravy.

> If not I may make a start, using mingw as the compiler, unless
> anyone has strong views whi I should use MSVC, Borland, LCC etc.

Russ's code seems to be written for MSVC, although I don't see it
being a big issue either way. I was going to use mingw myself, for
what it's worth.

- Richard

* [9fans] p9p for win32 ?
@ 2006-09-11 11:23 Steve Simon