* [9fans] kerTeX: LaTeX recipe fix for Plan9
@ 2022-10-13 15:03 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2022-10-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The latest version of the recipe used utilities in a way not matching
Plan9 (rmdir(1) or mv(1) for directories...) and the use of the mf(1)
binary was made without ensuring the kerTeX directory was in the path.

This is corrected in the new recipe latex.sh (tested on 9front).
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] kerTeX: LaTeX recipe fix for Plan9
@ 2022-10-30 23:41 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2022-10-30 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just did a full install of the stable version in my local evolutionary
branch of 9legacy using the get_mk_install.rc script.
I had to extend XCPPFLAGS in "kertex_T/lib1/web/Makefile.ker" to include
"-D_SUSV2_SOURCE"

Also, I can't find latex.sh in the installed packages. Did I miss a step?

@ 2022-10-31  8:27   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2022-10-31  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Le Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 04:41:21PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian a écrit :
> I just did a full install of the stable version in my local evolutionary
> branch of 9legacy using the get_mk_install.rc script.
> I had to extend XCPPFLAGS in "kertex_T/lib1/web/Makefile.ker" to include
> "-D_SUSV2_SOURCE"

It's anormal since all the kerTeX stuff depends only on standard C, the
only exception needing POSIX being introduced by a primitive added for LaTeX but whose
implementation, in kerTeX, is in the system dependant library for Plan9
and not in libweb...

> Also, I can't find latex.sh in the installed packages. Did I miss a step?

It should be in $KERTEX_LIBDIR/pkg/rcp/latex.sh

and this should be here if you run:

$KERTEX_SHELL $KERTEX_LIBDIR/pkg/rcp/rcp@pkg.sh install

this being done, unless you answered no, during the install.

(all the variables are defined in which_kertex(1) that can be evaluated to
have the definitions in the environment).

@ 2022-10-31 11:04     ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2022-10-31 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Le Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 09:27:10AM +0100, tlaronde@polynum.com a écrit :
> Le Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 04:41:21PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian a écrit :
> > I just did a full install of the stable version in my local evolutionary
> > branch of 9legacy using the get_mk_install.rc script.
> > I had to extend XCPPFLAGS in "kertex_T/lib1/web/Makefile.ker" to include
> > "-D_SUSV2_SOURCE"
>
> It's anormal since all the kerTeX stuff depends only on standard C, the
> only exception needing POSIX being introduced by a primitive added for LaTeX but whose
> implementation, in kerTeX, is in the system dependant library for Plan9
> and not in libweb...

Correction: since the system dependant part is not in a separated
library but in a separate object (source defined depending on the
system) but put in libweb, this macro definition has to go in:

kertex_T/sys/lib1/web/plan9.c

before the inclusion of the system headers.

Thanks for the report!

@ 2022-11-01 21:12     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2022-11-01 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The problem here was due to hget failing. Binding hurl over hget and
running it again, latex installed properly. Thanks!

@ 2022-11-02 11:59       ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2022-11-02 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Le Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 02:12:32PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian a écrit :
> The problem here was due to hget failing. Binding hurl over hget and
> running it again, latex installed properly. Thanks!

The problem is indeed with mirrors.ctan.org that redirects (and
distributes: at every invocation, it yields a different server) and hget(1)
does not do it.

For the time being specifying:

$KERTEX_SHELL some_rcp.sh -p http install

will use the KerGIS cache instead of the CTAN mirrors, without
redirectioni, and it will succeed.

I will rework, some time, the logic to let a configuration file
specifies the sites to try in order of preference, instead of
specifying the server in the download list spec.