* [9fans] Question
@ 2002-07-18 17:17 Victor LeNettoyeur ™
From: Victor LeNettoyeur ™ @ 2002-07-18 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm a hobbyist who has a spare computer. This particular machine looks ideal to
install the latest distribution of Plan9 on.

Is Plan9 worthwhile as a workstation? I'm specifically interested in whether there is
binary compatibility with UNIX. For example: will I be able to install my Applixware
(for FreeBSD) atop it?

Thanks in advance for tolerating such newbie questions. Any pointers to FAQ's or web
pages which might be helpful are greatly appreciated.

[Moderator's note:  the plan9 FAQ at:

                    http://www.fywss.com/plan9/plan9faq.html

                    may be a useful starting point.]

--
Victor LeNettoyeur
<spam.can@operamail.com>

"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic.
He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus
more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen
turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair."
     - Henry Louis Mencken

* [9fans] Question
@ 2003-07-21  8:13 Ronny Plenio
From: Ronny Plenio @ 2003-07-21  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear Sirs,

my name is Ronny Plenio and I'm 11 years old.

My hobby is to collect pens with prints of advertising and other
free gifts like pins or key-pendants

Despite the great assistance of my parents isn't possible to
purchase free gifts like that.

Because the great I would be delighted if you could send me some
items like that of your concern.

My address:
Ronny Plenio
Suedhang 4 b
01723 MOHORN
Germany

Hope to hear from you soom.

Yours faithfully

Ronny Plenio

* Re: [9fans] Question
@ 2002-07-18 17:43 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-07-18 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Is Plan9 worthwhile as a workstation? I'm specifically interested in whether there is
>>binary compatibility with UNIX. For example: will I be able to install my Applixware
>>(for FreeBSD) atop it?

with Unix on what?  don't worry, it doesn't matter.  there isn't any binary
compatibility with any version of Unix on anything.

>>Is Plan9 worthwhile as a workstation? I'm specifically interested in whether there is

there isn't really an objective answer to that.  best is to take the time to try it and see.
it's best if you enjoy programming (because you'll probably need to).

* [9fans] question
@ 1997-09-04 20:37 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 1997-09-04 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >>      Is there in Plan 9 a command like "clear" of UNIX or "clrscr"  of DOS?

out of interest, why?

* [9fans] question
@ 1997-09-04 16:20 Eran
From: Eran @ 1997-09-04 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Franklin Robert Araujo =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7a?= wrote:

>         Is there in Plan 9 a command like "clear" of UNIX or "clrscr"  of DOS?
>
> Franklin.

The following program clears the current 8.5 window.
It behaves much like Unix "clear".

Enjoy.

Eran

======
/*
 * Clear the window
 */

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
#include <libg.h>

void
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	binit(0, 0, 0);
	bitblt(&screen, screen.clipr.min, &screen, screen.clipr, Zero);
	bflush();

	exits("");
}

* [9fans] question
@ 1997-09-04 15:28 Tom
From: Tom @ 1997-09-04 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19709040828.ZM17146.marvin

On Sep 4,  9:52am, Franklin Robert Araujo Fran=E7a wrote:
>         Is there in Plan 9 a command like "clear" of UNIX or "clrscr"  =
of
DOS?
Just push the down-arrow key a couple of times & all text will scroll
offscreen.

-- =

Tom Duff, KF6LWB

@ 1997-09-04 12:52