* [9fans] First steps in Plan 9 use
@ 2001-05-29  9:18 Linux Guerilla
From: Linux Guerilla @ 2001-05-29  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings all,
    I just did a Network install of Plan 9, so I know my network works. I
ran into these issues. I can't telnet out of it or ping it from one of my
other boxes (linux and windows). Do I have to activate some network
"daemon"? The Plan 9 box has its on static IP address so its open to the
world.
     Currently I have no manuals beside man pages so some good links will be
nice :-).
     I'm still under the "user" glender. I haven't created a user yet. I
read the start.ms file.
Thanks in advance!!!
James

current Plan 9 box setup is:
dual PII 233Mhz
Mach64 video card
Netgear network card (the cheap one that work with most OS's)
9gig scsi
Toshiba scsi cdrom drive
64mgRAM

* [9fans] Re: First steps in Plan 9 use
@ 2001-05-30  8:41 ` Louis Beleos
From: Louis Beleos @ 2001-05-30  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Linux Guerilla wrote:

> Greetings all,
>     I just did a Network install of Plan 9, so I know my network works. I
> ran into these issues. I can't telnet out of it or ping it from one of my
> other boxes (linux and windows). Do I have to activate some network
> "daemon"? The Plan 9 box has its on static IP address so its open to the
> world.

See "Getting Started With Plan 9" -
	"Network Databases", "IP Configuration" and "Network Daemons":

At a minimum, unless you are using DHCP, the ip/ipconfig statement in
/rc/bin/termrc needs to be changed to something like :
	ip/ipconfig -g gateway.addr ether /net/ether0 ip.addr ip.mask

The ICMP listener needs to started for ping to work:
	aux/listen icmp

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.html
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/1
http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/