* [9fans] Rob Pike and Glenn Danzig?  The hidden conspiracy revealed at last....
@ 2003-07-29 15:51 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-07-29 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Today, I noticed something for perhaps the fifth time, yet it only just
registered.  While listening to the strains of, ``TV Casualty'', I
happened to glance at the back of the Misfits album I was listening to
(Legacy of Brutality, highly recommended if you have the means), and
spot a familiar looking bit of text highly reminiscent of our favorite
operating system:  ``plan 9'' appears in the lower center portion of
the back of the CD jewel box.

Now, why is this?  Could it be that Rob Pike and Glenn Danzig were
colluding on operating systems research at the time?  Did Rob somehow
financed or otherwise influenced the musical direction of the Misfits?
Granted, they came well before Plan 9 from Bell Labs, but still, some
clues in the lyrics are striking.  Consider this line from, ``where
eagles dare'': ``We walk the streets at night, we go where eagles
dare!'' Indeed, hasn't Plan 9 gone where eagles dare in terms of
pushing some simple primitives to their limits?

Coincidence?  I think not.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Rob Pike and Glenn Danzig?  The hidden conspiracy revealed at last....
@ 2003-07-29 16:03 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-07-29 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Dan Cross wrote:

> Today, I noticed something for perhaps the fifth time, yet it only just
> registered.  While listening to the strains of, ``TV Casualty'', I
> happened to glance at the back of the Misfits album I was listening to
> (Legacy of Brutality, highly recommended if you have the means), and
> spot a familiar looking bit of text highly reminiscent of our favorite
> operating system:  ``plan 9'' appears in the lower center portion of
> the back of the CD jewel box.
>
> Now, why is this?  Could it be that Rob Pike and Glenn Danzig were
> colluding on operating systems research at the time?  Did Rob somehow
> financed or otherwise influenced the musical direction of the Misfits?
> Granted, they came well before Plan 9 from Bell Labs, but still, some
> clues in the lyrics are striking.  Consider this line from, ``where
> eagles dare'': ``We walk the streets at night, we go where eagles
> dare!'' Indeed, hasn't Plan 9 gone where eagles dare in terms of
> pushing some simple primitives to their limits?
>
> Coincidence?  I think not.

I've seen this on other albums as well. There is also a band called "Plan
9".

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org

* Re: [9fans] Rob Pike and Glenn Danzig?  The hidden conspiracy revealed at last....
@ 2003-07-29 16:13 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2003-07-29 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For those of us used to getting into the car and being surprised by what comes
out of WFMU (often bizarre, always unexpected) the following CD is recommended.
odd nosdam [lower case] has a new CD out - "No More Wig for Ohio" which is getting
some airplay (at least, on one of the radio stations I listen to).

MH209: odd nosdam - plan 9... meat your hypnotis.

Mush is proud to reissue odd nosdam's debut 'plan 9... meat your hypnotis.'
Originally released on limited a number of hand made cassettes and disributed
entirely through the internet and tape trading, 'plan 9' was created using
only a Dr. Sample, an ancient Tascam 8-Track, and a beat up Teac cassette deck.
It can be argued that it was due to this limitation, rather than in spite of it,
that nosdam cultivated a style that caught the ear of Doseone and why? leading
to the formation of the trio cLOUDDEAD. Fifty-five short but sweet tracks of
lower than lo-fi sonic mud, 'plan 9's seventy-one minutes document the emergence
of the trademark nosdam production style. Of course, all of the original clicks,
pops, tape noise, and hiss have been kept beautifully in tact.