From: "Skip Tavakkolian" <fst@centurytel.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Webbrowser
Date: Tue,  4 Feb 2003 13:17:37 -0800	[thread overview]

> Occasionally I use the browser "i" which was available with "9fs
> sources", but
> it crashes after 2 or 3 pages.
> What would deserve more support -- the developement of "i" until it does
> not crash anymore or the port of "links".
> I do not think that I am experienced enough to begin that.

This is a sort of Holy Grail quest for 9fans, with no good answers.
The best solutions for now are to either use Charon (with Inferno)
and/or run a browser on a non-Plan9 machine and VNC to it.  Might want
to search comp.os.plan9 archives on this subject.

Ideally there would be an HTML rendering application that webfs
could plumb to and a driver application for webfs to receive plumb
messages that have a URL format.

> The only thing I programmed in Plan 9 so far is a very small vector
> drawing program.
> I will try to approximate lines, that I drew with a mouse (or with a
> tablet in vmware).
> In the future I will find some way to represent those with bezier
> curver, b-spline or NURBS -- it should be as "sodipodi" but more usable
> and much more portable.

Check out 'art' on sources (under contrib);  Also, when I looked into
this before, I came to the conclusion then that porting XCIP to Plan9
might be the fastest way to get this functionality.  The output is in
pic format, so is useful for documentation.  You can find
information on xcip and its history at this URL:

http://www.bell-labs.com/user/dwd/5620faq.html