From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: lucio@proxima.alt.za, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] "part 772"
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:49:06 -0500	[thread overview]

I rechecked the country list.  I was afraid France, Germany,
NYC and San Francisco might have been moved to the
banned list these last few weeks but neither in nor
the goveernment end-use list has changed.

If anyone can find a pointer on what treaties define
the EU+8 that allowed government end-use of US encryption
software, I'll stick a pointer on the page.  Without
checking the lists closely, it looks like the EU+8
covers NATO members plus US pacific allies.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2566 bytes --]

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:10:11 +0200

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:03:59AM -0500, David Presotto wrote:

> Sorry about that, fixed.  Not that it's a very exciting document
> to look at, but every other security disclaimer page mentions it
> so I thought it was worth seeing what it meant.

I was merely curious about New Zealand being exempted, when its
armament legislation forbids docking to US (and other) nuclear
powered ships.

Ideally, if New Zealand and many others are exempted, I see little
reason for South Africa not to request exemption too.  Of course,
I have no idea what's involved, but if our government is looking
for yet another alternative to monopoly software, I'd be glad to
help them along.

++L