* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
       [not found] <e6711db833ab6dfc2b48825e19291501@quanstro.net>
@ 2009-09-08  4:32 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-09-08  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ignore is the operator applied to any argument after the first, by
> my reading and experimenting with the code.

You mean that

	test -f /dev/sdC0/plan9 -o -f /dev/sdC1/plan9

would not work as expected?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08  5:48   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-08  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> > ignore is the operator applied to any argument after the first, by
> > my reading and experimenting with the code.
>
> You mean that
>
> 	test -f /dev/sdC0/plan9 -o -f /dev/sdC1/plan9
>
> would not work as expected?

rather
	test -f a b .... n
actually is the same as
	test -f a
try it.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-10  5:05                   ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-10  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 > > Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.  I'd love
 > > to get Plan 9 installed on my computer.  Indicentally the same Plan 9
 > > ISO installs just fine on another computer that I have: that computer
 > > only has one hard drive.
 >
 > remove one hard drive.  add hard drive back after install?

So I disabled the second BIOS drive and began to reinstall via the
atom ISO that you provided.

About half way through I got the urge to try the official ISO image
that I'd downloaded a few days earlier.

Low and behold it works like a charm.  Plan 9 only sees the first hard
drive when booting but once the kernel is loaded both hard drives are
visible and available for use.

I didn't actually retry the atom ISO but I imagine that this would fix
its problem as well.

I thought you might be interested to know this.

Matt

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-09 14:35                       ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-09 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > >  > remove one hard drive.  add hard drive back after install?
 > >
 > > Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that.  Lazy me not wanting to open the
 > > case ;-)
 >
 > Can you tell the BIOS to disable the drive?

That would require me not being nearly as dense... thank you for
pointing out the obvious :-)

Matt

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-09  7:35                     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2009-09-09  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-09-09  1:08                   ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-09  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > > Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.  I'd love
 > > to get Plan 9 installed on my computer.  Indicentally the same Plan 9
 > > ISO installs just fine on another computer that I have: that computer
 > > only has one hard drive.
 >
 > remove one hard drive.  add hard drive back after install?

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that.  Lazy me not wanting to open the
case ;-)

Thanks for all your help,

Matt

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08 17:49                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >Is there anything I can do to get around this or a possible fix to
> >test?
> >
> run that portion of the installer manually, and don't perform the test,
> they are only shell scripts
>
> if you have a plan9 already, you can roll your own installer
>
> my efforts documented here
>
> http://maht0x0r.blogspot.com/2007/11/roll-your-own-plan9-iso.html
> http://maht0x0r.blogspot.com/2007/10/roll-your-own-plan-9.html

it really should be fixed.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08 17:34                 ` matt
From: matt @ 2009-09-08 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-09-08 17:24                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-08 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-09-08 17:19               ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-08 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > > As soon as I put a wildcard into the test string, e.g.,
 >
 > Yes,
 >
 > 	test -f /dev/sdC0/plan9 /dev/sdC1/plan9
 >
 > is an invalid command.  Only one argument is expected.
 >
 > You're going to have to pick one of the two arguments.

I guess the crux of the matter is that I cannot install Plan 9 on my
computer due to the install scripts barfing when they evaluate

test -f /dev/sd*/plan9*

Is there anything I can do to get around this or a possible fix to
test?  Eric mentions that he doesn't have this problem on his
computer.  FWIW, my an md5sum of /bin/test gives
8edc427379a1d7414c351d38d217ef17.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.  I'd love
to get Plan 9 installed on my computer.  Indicentally the same Plan 9
ISO installs just fine on another computer that I have: that computer
only has one hard drive.

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08  4:23             ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2009-09-08  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> % test -f /dev/sdC0/plan9       # produces no errors
> % test -f /dev/sdC1/plan9       # produces no errors
>
> As soon as I put a wildcard into the test string, e.g.,
>
> % test -f /dev/sd*/plan9
> test: unexpected operator/operand: /dev/sdC1/plan9
>

> Hope this helps - thanks!
>
> Matt

the error message you're getting shows up only when test has been
given an argument it doesn't understand. furthermore, the bad argument
must be the a single character after the first dash (i.e., "test
-[sdkfjsdlfkj" won't trip it, but "test -[ lskdfjlkj" will; notice the
space in the second example). note also that all subsequent arguments
after the second are ignored in the case of -f (test -f /one /two will
happily verify that /one is a file, but not bother about /two)

now, there are not too many chars that test can't interpret, but '/'
is one of them. i'm venturing the possibility that somehow during a
raw input at the console some backspaces escaped into the name of the
first partition, enough so that after it's interpreted by the shell
and then executed it wipes out the "f" in -f. a simple way to trigger:

t.c:

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>
void
main() {
	char c = 0x8;
	write(1, &c, 1);
	write(1, &c, 1);
}

b.rc:
#!/bin/rc

var=`{8.out}
echo test -f $var /dev/sdC1/plan9

% b.rc
test - /dev/sdC1/plan9
%

note that for this convoluted case to occur you need to interpret the
backspaces through a console input.

i'm sorry for the noise if this is too far off.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08  4:13 lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-09-08  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it might look invalid, but just try it.  pick any n files.
> it does not fail on my system.  it doesn't fail if i used the
> sources rc and sources test.

Maybe, but it does not do the right thing, at least, I'm not sure how
it could.  At best, it would be essential to know which of OR or AND
is the implied operator between the operands of "-f"

++L

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08  4:08               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-08  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

@ 2009-09-08  4:03             ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-09-08  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-09-08  3:29           ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-08  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > i don't think so.  i tested that before
 > i asked the original question.  what does this
 > 	x=/dev/sd*/plan9*
 > 	whatis x

x=(/dev/sdC0/plan9 /dev/sdC1/plan9)

 > 	ls -q /dev/sd*/plan9*

(0000000004300016 1 00) /dev/sdC0/plan9
(0000000004301016 1 00) /dev/sdC1/plan9

Also:

@ 2009-09-08  2:13         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-08  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The bug must only be a problem where /dev/sd*/plan9* actually matches
> more than once.

i don't think so.  i tested that before
i asked the original question.  what does this
	x=/dev/sd*/plan9*
	whatis x
	ls -q /dev/sd*/plan9*
yield?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08  1:52       ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-08  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > > % test -f /dev/sdC1/plan9      	 # works, I think
 > > % test -f /dev/sd*/plan9*
 > > test: unexpected operator/operand: /dev/sdC1/plan9
 >
 > interesting.  i tested that here and got no errors.
 >
 > and what is the output of
 > 	test -f /dev/sd*/plan9*
 > on my machine, i cannot get test to complain
 > regardless of the arguments i give it.

Indicentally test gives no errors on another machine which has only
one hard drive.

--
PO Box 393 Wabasca, AB T0G 2K0 780-891-3282 madams@phantomware.ca

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-08  1:51       ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-08  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > > % test -f /dev/sdC1/plan9      	 # works, I think
 > > % test -f /dev/sd*/plan9*
 > > test: unexpected operator/operand: /dev/sdC1/plan9
 >
 > interesting.  i tested that here and got no errors.
 >
 > and what is the output of
 > 	test -f /dev/sd*/plan9*

test: unexpected operator/operand: /dev/sdC1/plan9

 > on my machine, i cannot get test to complain
 > regardless of the arguments i give it.

Perhaps we have different versions of test?  An md5sum of /bin/test

@ 2009-09-07 11:23     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-09-07  3:01   ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-07  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > > After running fdisk on sdC1 I see the following error message when I
 > > am returned to the installer menu:
 > >
 > >     Preparing menu...test: unexpected operator/operand: /dev/sdC1/plan9
 >
 > never seen that.  i don't see what the problem is
 > by simple inspection.  but i have confused the
 > installer on occasion.

Further to my other debugging info, I suspect that /bin/test is
perhaps broken.  I found a reference to this and wonder if maybe an
old bug has resurfaced:

http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=Plan9-9fans&a=2006-11&t=2651643

Testing manually in a terminal I get the following:

@ 2009-09-07  2:50       ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-07  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > open a new window?  takes selecting New with
 > right click outside any window.  then a right
 > button sweep of two of the windows opposing corners.

I did that and found the stuff under /bin/inst but I have no idea how
to step through the rest of the installer manually.  I run inst/gui or
inst/textonly but both give me the "unexpected operator/operand" error
I have previously encountered.

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-07  1:27     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-07  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-09-06 23:23   ` Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-06 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

 > if you can't get back on track by forcing the step
 > by just typing it at the prompt

I can't seem to do that; the installer doesn't give me a prompt after
the configfs step.

 > the easiest trick might be something like this at the installer
 > prompt:
 >
 > 	!rc
 > 	# cp /bin/test /tmp/builtintest
 > 	# {echo '#!/bin/rc'
 > 		echo '/tmp/builtintest $* ||
 > 		echo >[1=2] failed test args: $*}>/tmp/test
 > 	# chmod a+x /tmp/test
 > 	# bind /tmp/test /bin/test

I had to add a quote after ...failed test args: $* to get this to work
but it seems to have done the trick and gives me a little more info.

 > this will at the least tell us what the full arguments
 > to test were.  and maybe give you some ideas on what
 > to do next.

So instead of "unexpected operator/operand" I get the following:

failed test args: -f /dev/sd*/9fat
failed test args: -f /dev/sd*/fossil*
failed test args: -f /dev/sd*/arenas
failed test args: -f /dev/sd*/isect

I get the same results regardless of which file system types I select.

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: [9fans] Installer error (not supposed to happen)
@ 2009-09-06 21:45 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> After running fdisk on sdC1 I see the following error message when I
> am returned to the installer menu:
>
>     Preparing menu...test: unexpected operator/operand: /dev/sdC1/plan9

never seen that.  i don't see what the problem is
by simple inspection.  but i have confused the
installer on occasion.

if you can't get back on track by forcing the step
by just typing it at the prompt,  the easiest trick

@ 2009-09-06 21:00 Matt Adams
From: Matt Adams @ 2009-09-06 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Folks:

Using the Plan 9 ISO provided by Erik Quanstrom I was able to get Plan
9 to boot and detect my hard drives.  So far so good.

Once in the installer I selected fossil+venti and proceeded to run
fdisk on sdC0 to create one large Plan 9 partition.  No problems.

After running fdisk on sdC1 I see the following error message when I
am returned to the installer menu:

    Preparing menu...test: unexpected operator/operand: /dev/sdC1/plan9

At the bottom of the screen was:

   hey you finished everything! not supposed to happen

After a while these messages repeat themselves.

Subsequent attempts to run the installer result in the same error
immediately after entering the windowing system.  I can't seem to do
anything else or break out of the installer script.

Any suggestions on what I can do next would be greatly appreciated!
I'm stuck here and would really like to get Plan 9 installed.

Thanks!

Matt