* [9fans] Atom kernels
@ 2014-03-31 16:22 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-03-31 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I, all

I'm building some Atom install kits, each customised to fit a (my very)
particular need.
The kernel I rebuilt don't deal with 4K disk. Mbr complains about this but
it is the same on all distros usb/iso I have, and the 4K problem has
been solved.
(The usb install kit produces a bootable - even if uncomplete - system
on a 4k hdd)

So I'm wondering if my /sys/src/9/pae is actually up to date.

Where can I find the sources to build kernels able to deal with 4K disks ?

adriano

* Re: [9fans] Atom kernels
@ 2014-03-31 16:25 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-31 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Mar 31 12:24:24 EDT 2014, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
> I, all
>
> I'm building some Atom install kits, each customised to fit a (my
> very) particular need.  The kernel I rebuilt don't deal with 4K disk.
> Mbr complains about this but it is the same on all distros usb/iso I
> have, and the 4K problem has been solved.  (The usb install kit
> produces a bootable - even if uncomplete - system on a 4k hdd)
>
> So I'm wondering if my /sys/src/9/pae is actually up to date.
>
> Where can I find the sources to build kernels able to deal with 4K
> disks ?

please double-check that libfis is up-to-date, and rebuild it in any event.
then rebuild your kernel.

the current source for libfis is
	/n/atom/plan9/sys/src/libfis

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Atom kernels
@ 2014-03-31 16:39   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-03-31 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> On Mon Mar 31 12:24:24 EDT 2014, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
>> I, all
>>
>> I'm building some Atom install kits, each customised to fit a (my
>> very) particular need.  The kernel I rebuilt don't deal with 4K disk.
>> Mbr complains about this but it is the same on all distros usb/iso I
>> have, and the 4K problem has been solved.  (The usb install kit
>> produces a bootable - even if uncomplete - system on a 4k hdd)
>>
>> So I'm wondering if my /sys/src/9/pae is actually up to date.
>>
>> Where can I find the sources to build kernels able to deal with 4K
>> disks ?
> please double-check that libfis is up-to-date, and rebuild it in any event.
> then rebuild your kernel.
>
> the current source for libfis is
> 	/n/atom/plan9/sys/src/libfis
>
> - erik
Thaks a lot, Erik.
Working on it,
I'll let you know
adriano

* Re: [9fans] Atom kernels
@ 2014-03-31 22:28   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-03-31 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> On Mon Mar 31 12:24:24 EDT 2014,adriano.verardo@mail.com  wrote:
>> I, all
>>
>> I'm building some Atom install kits, each customised to fit a (my
>> very) particular need.  The kernel I rebuilt don't deal with 4K disk.
>> Mbr complains about this but it is the same on all distros usb/iso I
>> have, and the 4K problem has been solved.  (The usb install kit
>> produces a bootable - even if uncomplete - system on a 4k hdd)
>>
>> So I'm wondering if my /sys/src/9/pae is actually up to date.
>>
>> Where can I find the sources to build kernels able to deal with 4K
>> disks ?
> please double-check that libfis is up-to-date, and rebuild it in any event.
> then rebuild your kernel.
>
> the current source for libfis is
> 	/n/atom/plan9/sys/src/libfis
>
> - erik
fis.c are identical, re-mk'd anyway.
New libfis.a is different, and the just rebuilt kernel works.
Solved !

adriano

* Re: [9fans] Atom kernels
@ 2014-03-31 23:43     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-31 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> fis.c are identical, re-mk'd anyway.
> New libfis.a is different, and the just rebuilt kernel works.
> Solved !

excellent!

- erik