* [9fans] printer sharing
@ 2018-01-15 13:24 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2018-01-15 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am in a rather strange situation where I want to share a plan9 printer to windows.
This much I have been able to do. The difficulty is the printer is on a different physical
network (/net.alt) and the plan9 BSD LPR daemon runs as none, and so cannot bind/mount
the filesystems to allow it to speak to alt.net.

Am I missing somthing? is there some other way lp(1) envomed from a network listner can
access /net.alt?

There is no /lib/namespace.lpdserver though I could add one if the conclusion was that
this is the right way to go.

Alternatively the lp daemon could run from cron rather than envoked by lp(1) directly, this
way it could run as any user I like (the use lp?) and then it could have rights to access net.alt.
the downside would be having to wait for a printout.

Finally I could run the printer daemon as a priviledged process but that seems excessive.

-Steve

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-01-15 13:24 UTC | newest]