* [9fans] 9grid.us
@ 2005-05-22 17:14 Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-05-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So I've got 9grid.us (with two rather slow cpu servers) more or less
ready to go.  I wanted to set them up to just use
sources.cs.bell-labs.com as their authentication server (so anyone
would a sources account could drawterm to my cpu servers (or mount
their filesystems, etc.)

Unfortunately, I'm painfully ignorant about the Plan 9 security model.
 IRC chatter indicates I need sources.cs.bell-labs.com's hostkey in my
nvram in order for this to work.

Suggestions?

               -eric

[parent not found: <237c0daf7d8dd5561cf95744c7516fd0@orthanc.cc.titech.ac.jp>]
* Re: [9fans] 9grid.us
@ 2005-05-25  1:52 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-05-25  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That was basically what I ended up doing (IIRC) was running factotum
> -Sk and then feeding it my sources account as authid, the
> outside.plan9.bell-labs.com authdom, a secret secstore key and my
> sources password.

So, the only key the factotum(*) has is your sources' key?
(*) The factotum which is started by the kernel and used by
cpu service for authentication.

* Re: [9fans] 9grid.us
@ 2005-05-25  2:33 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-05-25  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 :
> I believe that is correct, yes.  Russ said what was important was that
> it be the first key.

This works well on a standalone cpu server, but seems not work
on a diskless cpu server.  The file server seems not happy and
the following error appears on fscons:

	attach main as XXX: unknown user 'XXX'

How is the authentication different from diskless to standalone?

* Re: [9fans] 9grid.us
@ 2005-05-25  4:39 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-05-25  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The difference is that standalone doesn't authenticate to
> its own file server.  The file server trusts the local connection
> in order to bootstrap.

The file server means fossil alone?  Or does it include ken fs
and/or kfs?  Could you give me any pointers to the source where
this separation occurs?

> You need to add a factotum key for the file server.

Supposing the following case, what key should I add to which factoum?
Now a fileserver (fossil) has one (and only one) key:

	user=sauron dom=tip9ug.jp

and a diskless cpu server which boots from the
fileserver has the two keys respectively in their factotums:

	user=sauron dom=tip9ug.jp
	user=grid dom=9grid.jp

Now, one can login to the cpu server using either of the following keys:
	user=nashi dom=9grid.jp
	user=nashi dom=tip9ug.jp

However, one can't login with the "user=grid dom=9grid.jp" key.
Using this key, cpu just finishes without any error message;
	term% cpu -h cpuserver
	term%     <-- cpu just exits
except the "prompt: attach main as grid: unknown user 'grid'"
on the fossil console.

The only difference between nashi and grid is that nashi is
registered to the fossil while grid is not.

* Re: [9fans] 9grid.us
@ 2005-05-25  6:34 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-05-25  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Russ.
It will take a little while until I digest the whole things.

> Here the cpu authentication is succeeding but then the
> file server doesn't allow the mount because the user is unknown.
> You have to add the user.  This is unfortunate for 9grid purposes
> but it's the way it is.

9grid.us allows me to login and a none access to its local filesystem.
That might be enough for 9grid purposes.  9grid users should have their
filesystem under /mnt/term or they can use ramfs for faster access.

* Re: [9fans] 9grid.us
@ 2005-05-25  7:26 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-05-25  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed May 25 15:45:17 JST 2005, Lucio De Re wrote:
> > 9grid.us allows me to login and a none access to its local filesystem.
 :
> Wouldn't this imply a very complicated namespace?  And the risk of
> attack from the other side?

I don't know about the complicated namespace... but
you can restrict the namespace you export by "cpu -P".