* Re: [9fans] Xen, Plan9, VNC
@ 2005-09-07  8:28 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-09-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> By default, Xen creates a console, so if you boot Plan9 as a domU, you
> cannot fire up Rio.
> Now does VNC fit into this picture somehow?

I'm changing /bin/cpurc so that it fires up vncs and connect
to the listening vncviewer running on dom0 automatically at
boot time.  The vnc client is started by 'vnc=yes' option
to 'xm create' command.

However, I would see 2. of your plan come true.

* Re: [9fans] Xen, Plan9, VNC
@ 2005-09-07 12:55 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-09-07 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/7/05, YAMANASHI Takeshi <9.nashi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > By default, Xen creates a console, so if you boot Plan9 as a domU, you
> > cannot fire up Rio.
> > Now does VNC fit into this picture somehow?
>
> I'm changing /bin/cpurc so that it fires up vncs and connect
> to the listening vncviewer running on dom0 automatically at
> boot time.  The vnc client is started by 'vnc=yes' option
> to 'xm create' command.
>
> However, I would see 2. of your plan come true.
> --

I must have missed earlier context, but why are you using VNC inside
of just treating domU like a cpu server?

          -eric

* Re: [9fans] Xen, Plan9, VNC
@ 2005-09-08  0:01 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-09-08  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Sep  7 21:56:28 JST 2005, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> I must have missed earlier context, but why are you using VNC inside
> of just treating domU like a cpu server?

Just because vncviewer is more familiar to linux people and
someone from there liked me to setup vnc instead of
installing drawterm.  Actually, you can cpu/drawterm to the
box as well.

* Re: [9fans] Xen, Plan9, VNC
@ 2005-09-07 13:12 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-09-07 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Retzki, Sascha [Xplain] wrote:

> 2.) Write some API for VirtualGraphicsCards (in Xen), so each domU sees
> a virtual card, starts up its graphical system, and the dom0 can
> "connect" to these systems (using some own approach or VNC, I did not go
> into details to know that yet).

you need to look at xen a bit more. On IA64 platforms, xen can boot
unmodified kernel. There is vga bios and virtual graphics card happening
in xen. The issue is, how do we get Plan 9 to use it? Answer is, I don't
know, as this is in xen 3.0 and I am not looking at xen 3.0 until they
get done changing it. I already started one port to Xen 3.0 and had to
drop it, as Xen is rotating too fast for me ...

I am hoping that once Xen stops changing and 3.0 is released, we can
take a look at the graphics issue.

That said, I do like having drawterm for plan 9 and xen, since I can get
a rio desktop that spans two full 17" displays; nice.

ron

* [9fans] Xen, Plan9, VNC
@ 2005-09-07  8:07 Retzki, Sascha [Xplain]
From: Retzki, Sascha [Xplain] @ 2005-09-07  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Fans,

Yamanashi Takeshi and Tim Newsham talked about Xen and Plan9 (boot
parameters), and "by the way", the string "vnc" poped up, and I got a
question regarding this (and similars) (and please correct me if I am
wrong ;-)):

By default, Xen creates a console, so if you boot Plan9 as a domU, you
cannot fire up Rio.
Now does VNC fit into this picture somehow?

Generally, the thing is that Plan9 without Rio is not really cool, and I
would really enjoy a Xen-driven host with NetBSD, Linux, $whatnot and
Plan9, all displaying GUIs and whatnot. So my plans were:

1.) Install a second graphic card, hide it from dom0, hand it to one
domU so this domU can display something.

2.) Write some API for VirtualGraphicsCards (in Xen), so each domU sees
a virtual card, starts up its graphical system, and the dom0 can
"connect" to these systems (using some own approach or VNC, I did not go
into details to know that yet).

How would you solve this problem? What about approach 2, good enough to
brainstorm about it, maybe post our results to the xen-devel@-list?