* [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)
@ 2008-10-08 16:35 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-10-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
about  '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)
@ 2008-10-08 17:06 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2008-10-08 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's the plumber that decides. If you want those characters to be understood as
file name characters in general - and you really don't, whatever you think now;
consider what happens when you click on "includefile.h" - then change the
plumbing rules.

-rob

@ 2008-10-08 17:21   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-10-08 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/10/8 Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com>

> It's the plumber that decides. If you want those characters to be
> understood as
> file name characters in general - and you really don't, whatever you think
> now;
> consider what happens when you click on "includefile.h" - then change the
> plumbing rules.
>
> -rob

Ok, I see. I read the manual page where the plumber is not mentioned (with
the exception of 'Incl' command explanation. I thought that openning of
files like "" could work at least when the whole of the name is swept (not
just clicked) with button 3 (or first with button 1 and then clicked with
3).

@ 2008-10-08 17:56   ` grai
From: grai @ 2008-10-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Insert a plumbing rule before the usual one that considers those
characters part of filenames.  Now you can plumb those scripts.  When
it fails to find the file named "includefile.h" (with the quotes as
part of the filename), the plumber will move on to the next rule to
check for includefile.h (no quotes).

If there are problems with this approach then I haven't thought of them yet.

grai

* Re: [9fans] acme and openning of ", "", '''chk' scripts (by rsc)
@ 2008-10-08 19:37     ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-10-08 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2008/10/8 grai <t.lainson@gmail.com>

> Insert a plumbing rule before the usual one that considers those
> characters part of filenames.  Now you can plumb those scripts.  When
> it fails to find the file named "includefile.h" (with the quotes as
> part of the filename), the plumber will move on to the next rule to
> check for includefile.h (no quotes).
>
> If there are problems with this approach then I haven't thought of them
> yet.
>
> grai
>
> Thanks. Seems to work for me just OK. But maybe R. Pike has some
counterexample...

@ 2008-10-18 17:25 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-10-18 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> is that an intention that acme does not recognize " (or "", not so sure
> about  '''chk' ) to be a name of a valid file? At least " and "" seems to me
> to be a valid file name, but clicking on it with button 3 in acme doesn't
> work --- file is not opened. Only explicit use of Get opens it.

They are very odd file names.  Rather than pollute your
plumbing rules, you can type something like

  New ""

in acme and then execute it to open the file.

Russ